HOW TO APPLY
Three Facts to Keep in Mind When Applying with the City of Long Beach
- The Long Beach Civil Service Department serves only the City of Long Beach. We are not affiliated with any other governmental agency or entity.
- We offer no general civil service test. You must file a separate application for each different classification or job opening.
- You may apply for a particular job only when an examination has been scheduled for that job. Examinations are scheduled when we have current job openings.
Accessing the Current Job Bulletins and Applications:
- Visit Current Job Opportunities.
- Complete the online application.
- Attach required documents, including DD214 (if applicable) to online application.
- Submit the online application (look for an email confirmation) before the filing deadline.
- Study the requirements to file stated on the job bulletin before you fill out the application.
- All applicants will be notified whether their applications were accepted or not. If your application meets the requirements as stated on the Job Bulletin and your application is accepted for testing, you will be notified when and where to report for the next part of the examination.
- You must have an email address to apply for jobs with the City of Long Beach. The City of Long Beach will only notify you by email.
The Examination Process
Taking a test to earn a job can be both a challenging and rewarding experience. Sometimes, anxiety and uncertainty affect how a person performs during any one of the several types of tests administered. However, here are some hints that will help you prepare for a Civil Service test:
Application Screening is a procedure used to qualify individuals for a test. During this process, requirements such as experience, training, or education of each applicant are reviewed. Make sure that you include required documents in your application packet and that you clearly state your qualifying background on your application form.
A written examination is used to test specific, technical knowledge related to a certain job. The test may consist of any combination of multiple choice, true/false, completion or identification items. Since many of these written examinations are job-specific, a careful review of the job announcement will provide you with an overview of the technical knowledge needed for the job.
An interview is conducted by a panel of subject matter experts who evaluate a person\'s knowledge and skills, a persons" employment background, and other qualifying factors necessary for the job being sought. Therefore, it is important to arrange your thoughts and comments carefully and to know exactly what you are going to say. You do not need to bring anything with you unless directed by Civil Service staff. Do not bring a resume nor any work samples. Remember to dress appropriately for an interview.
A performance test may be required for you to demonstrate a skill or ability which is essential for a job. For these types of examinations, you will need to train and practice to increase your dexterity, strength, skill or accuracy. The job announcement provides an indication of the types of performance activities which will be included in these types of tests. Dress appropriately.
For additional information on preparing to take examinations, visit your local library or bookstore for test preparation materials.
After The Examination
We will email your examination results to you, with further instructions. If you passed all parts of the examination, your name will be placed on an eligible list for at least 6 months and up to three years.
Candidates with the highest overall scores are scheduled first for final selection interviews in City departments with vacancies. Those with the highest scores have the best chance of getting hired. All candidates remaining on the eligible list move up the list whenever someone above them is hired.
Upon being selected, you must show authorization to work in the United States and pass a medical examination. You also serve a probationary period of 6 months (Police & Fire, 12 months) to evaluate your performance under actual working conditions. Once the probationary period has been satisfactorily completed, you gain permanent employee status and earn a pay increase.
As a City employee, you will enjoy excellent benefits, good promotional opportunities, and the satisfaction of providing essential services to the community.
The Civil Service Department Accepts Online Applications Only, Here's Why:
- Avoid the traffic, crowds, and lines. Complete your application at home, place of work, Starbucks, anywhere you like!
- It's quick, easy, and user friendly.
- Be energy, "green" conscience. Save a tree!
- Instant confirmation of your received application.
- Ability to electronically attach your required certificates and professional resume.
- Track your application status online, 24/7.
- Receive email notifications of the status of your application, testing information, and other important information.
- In some cases, the ability to schedule your test and interview at time and date convenient to you.
- Live, person-to-person, customer service available during working hours to assist you with your application.
For More Information visit, telephone, or write us:
Civil Service Department, City of Long Beach
333 West Ocean Blvd., 7th floor
Long Beach, CA 90802
Hours: Open: Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m.4:30 p.m. (closed holidays)
If you would like specific career information or guidance on City jobs, call the Civil Service Department's Recruitment Division at (562) 570-7126 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.