- 420,000 people die each year in the U.S. from a tobacco related disease (that's more than cocaine, homicide, suicide, car crashes, fires, heroin and AIDS combined)
- 3,000 United States teens start smoking each day
- 90% of today's smokers started smoking before they were 18 years old
- 85% of adults in Long Beach don't smoke
100% Smoke Free Patios = A More Enjoyable Outdoor Dining Experience
View a list of all participating "Fresh Air Dining LB" establishments.
Did you know that 85% of Long Beach residents do not smoke?
Fresh Air Dining LB is a project of the City of Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services Tobacco Education Program that provides free technical assistance to restaurants that want to make their outdoor dining areas 100% smoke free in 3 easy steps.
Step 1: Choose to make your restaurant's patio 100% smoke free.
Step 2: Receive your "No Smoking" and Fresh Air Dining LB decal - Free! Simply call (562) 570-7950 to participate and signs will be delivered promptly.
Step 3: Display the "No Smoking" sign and Fresh Air Dining LB decal.
For more information call the Tobacco Education Program at (562) 570-7950
Smoking is not allowed in any INDOOR public area, with the exception of approved smoking lounges located in a tobacco shop or cigar lounge. Smoke free indoor areas include, but are not limited to:
- Bars & Restaurants
- Pool Halls
- Office Buildings
- Elevators & Laundry Rooms
- Hotel Lobbies Outdoor
No-Smoking areas include:
- Bus Stops
- Farmer's Markets
- Within 20 feet of State, County and City Buildings
If you see someone smoking in one of these areas, please file a complaint with the Tobacco Education Program. To file a smoking complaint for a tobacco violation with the City of Long Beach, please call (562) 570-7950 or fill out a complaint form. Send the form to: City of Long Beach DHHS Tobacco Education Program, 3820 Cherry Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90807.
The mission of the Coalition for a Smoke-Free Long Beach is to promote a tobacco-free, smoke-free and healthy Long Beach. The Coalition serves in an advisory capacity to the Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services Tobacco Education Program (TEP) in the development, implementation and periodic review of the City's comprehensive Tobacco control Workplan. The Coalition is a diverse group of community volunteers committed to promoting tobacco-free healthy lifestyles. currently, there are more than 80 members of the Coalition representing local residents, youth, voluntary health organizations, health care providers, the Long Beach Unified School District, California State Universities, Long Beach City College, churches, community-based organizations, youth organizations, businesses and other concerned individuals.
2019 Meeting Dates
March 6, 2019
June 5, 2019
September 18, 2019
December 11, 2019
All meetings are held at the Miller Family Health Education Center located at:
3820 Cherry Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90807
One block North of Bixby Road
For more information email email@example.com
Tobacco Education Program, Long Beach Health Department Since 1990
The Long Beach Tobacco Education Program (TEP) has worked to build a healthier community by reducing the use of tobacco and the exposure to secondhand smoke in the City of Long Beach. The Tobacco Education Program strives to achieve this goal by:
- Providing referrals for people who want to quit smoking
- Working with apartment owners to create smoke free living options in apartment buildings
- Creating culturally appropriate tobacco control materials for the Long Beach community
- Supporting community-led smoke free campaigns
- Ensuring compliance with local, state and federal tobacco related laws
Below you will find additional information on the programs we offer, stop smoking resources, and information about other Long Beach tobacco control issues. If you would like more information or are suffering from drifting smoke in your apartment building please contact the Tobacco Education Program at (562) 570-7950.
For additional information visit the Smoke Free apartment House Registry
"Smoke-Free Apartment Policies are Legal, Protect Health while Saving Money"
Smoke-Free Apartment Policies are Legal:
- Property owners/managers have the legal right to make rental properties smoke-free, just like they are able to declare that rental units are pet-free. Property owners have the right to advertise rental units as "smoke-free". There is no constitutional right to smoke.
- As of January 1, 2012, property managers in California have the explicit legal authority to declare rental units as "smoke-free" under SB 332.
Smoke-Free Apartment Policies Protect Health:
- Property owners/managers can play a role in eliminating a significant cause of illness in a home and a major cause of preventable death: secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke is a substance known to cuase cancer in humans, which there is no safe level of exposure.
- Scientific studies show that secondhand smoke can drift into and out of open windows and doors and can travel through shared air vents and ducts; cracks in walls; gaps around electrical wiring; lights and plumbing; and can even seep through floorboards.
Smoke-Free Apartment Policies Save Money:
- Maintenance and turnover costs are significantly lower for non-smoking units. Refurbishing the apartment of a heavy smoker for the next tenant requires more time and effort in repainting. In many instances, carpeting, draperies, and upholstered furniture must be replaced rather than cleaned.
- According to a recent survey of California multi-unit housing owners and managers, rental properties without a smoke-free policy incur an average of $4,935 (4,252 after accounting for withheld deposits) in smoking related costs per year.
- Contact your insurance provider to find out if you would be eligible for a discount if you were to designate your building as 100% smoke free.
Interested Property Owners/Managers:
Interested property owners/managers should call the City of Long Beach Tobacco Education Program at (562) 570-7950 to receive a free copy of the booklet, "How Landlords Can Prohibit Smoking in Rental Housing" and to learn more about the benefits of creating a smoke-free apartment policy.
Stop smoking classes in Long Beach are offered through Nicotine Anonymous and several local hospitals. View a brochure of resources available in Long Beach. For a limited time, free Nicotine Patches are available to Los Angeles County Residents. Call 1-800-NO-BUTTS for more information, or view the 1-800-NO-BUTTS brochure.
Call the Tobacco Education Program at (562) 570-7950 for indivudual help to stop smoking. If you have Medi-Cal, you may be eligible to get products to help you quit smoking. First talk to your doctor or Medi-Cal plan health educator and explain that you want help quitting. Next, call the California Smoker's Helpline: 1-800-NO BUTTS (after your call and completion of counseling, you will receive a certificate.) Finally, take the Helpline certificate and the doctor's prescription to your pharmacist.
Did you know that as you snuff out that last cigarette......
- Within 20 minutes: Blood pressure, body temperature and pulse rate drop to normal
- Within 8 hours: Smokers-Breath disappears
- Within 24 hours: Risk of heart attack decreases
- Within 2-3 months: Lung capacity increases, circulation improves, and walking becomes easier
- Within 1 year: Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a person who smokes
- Within 2 years: Heart attack risk drops back to normal
Tobacco Education Program
3820 Cherry Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90807
Para informacion para inquilinos sobre vivendas libre de humo
Para informacion para proprietarios sobre vivendas libre de humo
Para mas informacÃon en Espanol llame a (562) 570-7904
Smoke Free Apartments
How to Quit
Tobacco Control Laws
Smoking Cessation Resources
California Smokers' Hotline
(Telephone Counseling Services)
Hearing Impaired: 1-800-933-4TDD
Chewer's Helpline: 1-800-844-CHEW (2439)
- Cessation/Stop Smoking Brochure
- Complaint Form
- Are Smoke Free Apartments for You?
- Esta Interesado En Apartamentos Libres De Humo?
- How Landlords Can Prohibit Smoking in Rental Housing
- Como los Proprietarios Pueden Prohibir Fumar in las vviviendas de Alquiler
- Ready to Quit Smoking? - Free Nicotine Patches