Body Art Program
On July 1, 2012, Assembly Bill (AB) 300, the Safe Body Art Act became effective throughout California. The Safe Body Art Act regulates tattooing, branding, body piercing, and permanent makeup. The new law requires all body art practitioners to annually register with the City, obtain annual bloodborne pathogen training, provide documentation of Hepatitis B vaccination status, obtain specific health information from clients, and obtain "informed consent" from clients.
The Safe Body Art Act also requires the owner of a body art facility to obtain a Health Permit, operate the facility in a safe and clean manner, maintain written procedures for the operation of the facility, and maintain records of training and equipment sterilization. AB 300 also regulates the performance of body art events, in temporary demonstration booths, and in vehicles.
Environmental Health inspectors conduct annual inspections of body art facilities to determine compliance with the Safe Body Art Act and may suspend or revoke permits and registrations under specified conditions.
BODY ART REGULATIONS
- AB 300, the Safe Body Art Act (Effective July 1, 2012)
- Summary of the Safe Body Art Act
- California State Penal Code on Body Art
BODY ART PRACTITIONER REGISTRATION
Body art practitioners who are currently registered with Long Beach are not required to re-register until their registration certificate expiration date or July 1, 2013, whichever occurs first. Due to the requirement of the Safe Body Art Act to register annually, all registrations issued prior to June 30, 2012, will expire on June 30, 2013.
- Body Art Annual Registration Checklist
- Body Art Practitioner Annual Registration Application
- Voluntary Declaration of Hepatitis B Vaccination
- Approved Training Providers for the Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Training
Temporary Body Art Application
To obtain a permit, submit event organizer and booth operator application. Proof of registration, Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Control certification, and Hepatitis B vaccination status to the Body Art Program by mail or in person.
- Body Art Temporary Event Registration Checklist
- Temporary Event Body Art Organizer Application
- Temporary Event Body Art Facility Application
- Temporary Event Body Art Facility Requirement Checklist
CONTACT US AT (562)570-4129