The City of Long Beach has adopted a Community Noise Ordinance (Section 8.80.010) to address loud noises that may impact residents, businesses, and visitors. Noises that may exceed noise control standards include (but are not limited to):
- Amplified music from nightclubs
- Loud stereos and TVs
- Leaf blowers
- Air conditioners and other equipment
- Parking lot sweepers
- Delivery noises
- Use of power tools
A Noise Control Office has been established in the City Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) for enforcement of the Noise Control Ordinance. The following are other types of noises that are handled in other departments:
- Loud talking, screaming, yelling, doors slamming and vehicle noises are considered as disturbing the peace and are handled by the Police Department:
- To report a noise disturbance which requires an immediate Police response dial 9-1-1.
- To report a non-emergency noise disturbance, please call the Police at (562) 435-6711.
- To report airport noise, please call Airport Noise Abatement (562) 570-2678.
For further information, please see How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach or call (562) 570-4126. A Noise Complaint Request Form is available at the Environmental Health Bureau, Room# 220 and may be filled out and mailed or faxed to (562) 570-4038.
If the noise source continues to occur two weeks after registering the complaint, a Noise Complaint Form and Petition can be filled out and sent to the the Enviornmental Health Bureau.
Variances may be granted for exemption from provisions of the Noise Ordinance. A Noise Variance Application may be submitted for consideration by the City Noise Control Officer.
For additional information, please see City of Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 8.80 for the City of Long Beach Noise Ordinance.