Food Inspection Process
The Consumer Protection Program conducts risk based inspections and has a target frequency of two routine inspections per year for restaurants, one routine inspections every nine months for fast food and limited food preparation facilities, and one routine inspection a year for prepackaged food facilities. During routine inspections, inspectors stress the prevention of foodborne illness and educate food facility operators on proper food handling techniques.
The emphasis is always on:
- Food temperature control
- Employee practices
- Proper sanitation
- Education of the operator
The Mobile Food Vehicle Inspection Program inspects and issues permits to:
- Mobile Food Prep Units (Hot Trucks)
- Mobile Food Facilities (Ice Cream Trucks, Produce Trucks, and Carts)
- Hot trucks and carts with plumbing are inspected six times per year at the Department.
- Vehicles selling prepackaged food are inspected twice a year.
For more information, please call (562) 570-4132 ext. 0.