- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris Recycling Program
The State of California through its California Green Building Standards Code and as part of the City's commitment to sustainable development requires that certain construction and/or demolition projects divert at least 65% of waste through recycling, salvage, or deconstruction.
The Construction & Demolition Debris Recycling (C&D) Program, which took effect on November 5, 2007, encourages permit applicants to recycle all C&D materials through a refundable performance deposit. This program also encourages the use of green building techniques in new construction and promotes reuse or salvaging of recyclable materials in demolition, deconstruction, and construction projects.
- All newly constructed buildings or structures.
- Residential additions or alterations of existing residential buildings where there is an increase of the building's conditioned area, volume or size.
- Non-residential additions and alterations whenever a building permit is required for work.
- All demolition projects of any valuation.
- How the project will meet the 65% requirement.
- To whom the C&D Deposit shall be returned.
- The name of the property/business owner.
- Please ensure that the Return of Deposit and property/business owner's contact information as shown on the CDMP is correct.
Applicants are required to submit a REFUNDABLE Performance Security Deposit of either 3% of the project value or $53,425 whichever is less. The minimum deposit is $1,605 per project.
- Applicants are also required to pay a non-refundable administrative review fee of either .25% of the project value or $2,750 whichever is less, but no less than the minimum fee of $135.
At the completion of the project, the applicant shall submit the completed and signed Final Compliance Report with the following information:
- Proof that C&D materials have been taken to a certified diversion facility that processes and recycles mixed debris. For the nearest facility, visit: https://search.earth911.com/ or visit https://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/CD/cd_attachments/Recycling_Facilities.pdf.
- Recycling receipts indicating:
- Origin of recycled material
- Tonnage or quantity recycled
- Material type(s)
Submit the Final Compliance Report and the appropriate CDMP recycling receipts by email at: email@example.com, or in person at the Development Permit Center located at Long Beach City Hall, 411 W. Ocean Blvd., 2nd Floor, within 30 days of project completion.
- Projects that meet the 65% requirement will receive a full reimbursement of the performance deposit.
- Projects that do not meet the 65% requirement will receive a partial return of their performance deposit in proportion to actual diversion.
Please ensure to inform your permitted hauler or the facility that the material is to be recycled, and provide the receipt(s) to the City of Long Beach within 30 days of project completion with total material disposed and diverted, by type, in order to receive performance deposit refund.
For more information regarding this program, contact the Long Beach Development Services Building and Safety Team at (562) 570-LBDS (5237) or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Development Permit Center
|M:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|T:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|W:||8:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|TH:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|F:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
Inspection Services Staff
|M:||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM|
|T:||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM|
|W:||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM|
|TH:||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM|
|F:||3:30 PM - 4:30 PM|