- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
|View Local Construction Site Guidance for COVID-19|
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep the community and employees safe, City Hall, including the Development Permit Center and Neighborhood Resource Center, is closed to the public until further notice.
Building & Safety team remains committed to delivering quality customer service and, with as little delay as possible, will continue to provide services via phone, email and online.
WHERE: Long Beach Civic Center Plaza, 411 W. Ocean Blvd. Tables and signs will be posted.
WHEN: Tuesdays & Thursdays, between 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Appointments must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
WHO: For applicants to pick up corrected plans or for applicants to pick up approved plans after they pay all applicable permit fees.
HOW: As soon as plans are reviewed or approved, staff will contact applicants with instructions via email/phone on pickup procedures. Applicant’s will need to schedule an appointment to pick up plans. City staff will be available at the tables to coordinate the pickups, and will be adhering to social distancing guidelines. Hand sanitizers will be made available. Plans from other Departments will not get bundled together for pickup unless requested by the applicant.
For information and appointments, please call 562.570.7648 (PMIT) during business hours.
- Effective Wednesday, March 18, 2020, the Development Permit Center will begin accepting construction documents for minor or small scale projects in PDF format (less than 75 MB). A completed permit application along with the construction documents can be emailed to DV-BuildingSafety@longbeach.gov. For relevant details and instructions regarding submittals, visit the Minor Project Plan Check Service page.
- Effective Monday, March 30, 2020, the Development Permit Center will begin accepting electronic construction documents for moderate to medium size projects in flattened PDF format (less than 5 GB). A completed permit application along with the electronic construction documents in flattened PDF format can be forwarded to the City staff for their uploading to the City’s Electronic Plan (E-Plan) Check system. For instruction on how to upload projects, please contact staff at 562.570.7086 or DV-EPlan-Submit@longbeach.gov. For relevant details and instructions regarding submittals, visit the Electronic Plan Service page.
- Contractors registered on the City’s Online Permitting System can continue with project submittals as before.
- Express permits (no plan check required), can be issued by emailing applications and other documents to DV-BuildingSafety@longbeach.gov. Subject Line: Express Permit. For express service, some or all of the following materials are needed:
- Development Permit Application
- California License Contractor’s Declaration and Owner-Builder’s Declaration
- Owner/Builder/Contractor Permit Proxy Form (Used by owner or agent/representative in the absence of the Owner/Builder/Contractor)
- To obtain information or questions about building permit records or status, please visit the Permit Records/Status page.
The City building inspection team will continue to provide services for residential and commercial projects requested within 24 hours. However, extra degrees of precaution will be taken to protect the public as well as inspectors, such as:
- Avoiding handshaking
- Asking if there is anyone sick on the property or project prior to starting the inspection
- Exercising proper social distancing during the inspection
You can submit permit-related documents and find all the resources you may need at our Development Permit Center, located at City Hall on the 2nd floor. In order to make your visit as seamless as possible, we’ve broken down the services provided at each of our counters below:
- Monday, Tuesday 7:30am - 4:30pm
- Wednesday 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday, Friday 7:30am - 4:30pm
For more information about building and permits, please call the Development Permit Center at (562) 570-PMIT(7648).
To view permit records for a property, go to the Permit Records page.
To check on the status of a permit, go to the Permit Status inquiry page.
For questions about a building permit records or status, please call us at (562) 570-LBDS (5237), or visit the Development Permit Center, City Hall, 2nd floor.
Development Permit Center
|M:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|T:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|W:||8:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|TH:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|F:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|