- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Current Planning & permit information
The Current Planning Division is the first stop when looking to develop a new project, add-on to an existing home or business, or change the use of a property. The City’s Current Planning Officer who also serves as the City’s Zoning Administrator presides over public hearings for applications, such as standards variances, administrative use permits, and local coastal development permits.
Need information on what can be built or what use is allowed on your property? Contact the Zoning Information Line at (562) 570-6194 (Monday – Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)
Current Planning Duties
- Minor construction permit reviews (signs, fences, small additions).
- Major construction permit reviews (large additions, new buildings).
- Providing information and answering questions from the public regarding zone designations (Zoning Maps), permitted land uses, setbacks, density, height limits, lot coverage, open space, and other requirements & processes.
- Discretionary land use decisions (Planning Permit Information).
- Administrative Decisions: staff-level Site Plan Review, Signs Standards Waivers.
- Minor Public Hearings: Standards Variances, Lot Line Adjustments, Lot Mergers, Administrative Use Permits, Local Coastal Development Permits.
- Major Public Hearings: Conditional Use Permits, Site Plan Review, Subdivision Maps, Zone Changes.
- Business License Reviews for Zoning conformance
- Special Studies for Zoning Code amendments, zone changes and others.
- Provide Staff Support for the City's appointed Planning Commission.
Current Planning Information
Administrative hearings are conducted by the Zoning Administrator. Standards Variances, Coastal Permits, Minor Lot Line Adjustments, Legalization of Illegal Units, and Lot Mergers are processed through administrative hearings. Hearings are conducted twice each month.
Real-time updates are also available through our news RSS feed.
Current Planning Officer (562) 570-6607
Second & Fourth Monday of each Month, 2:00 p.m. in City Hall, 7th Floor.
Public Hearing Notices
|M:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|T:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|W:||8:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|TH:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|
|F:||7:30 AM - 4:30 PM|