Special Collection 101
Special Collection of Oversized Items (that won’t fit in your cart)
If your only option is to discard it, the City of Long Beach provides each residential account four free Special Collections per year. (Note: a regulatory fee may be charged for items requiring special handling.) To request a special collection, call the Hotline at 570-2876 or use our online form to schedule your pickup of special or oversized items. (See “preparing items” for collection restrictions.)
- Appliances (for safety, refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed)
- Computers and monitors
- Television sets
- Tires (no rims, maximum size 16″)
- Tree branches, yard debris (4-ft in length, 40-lb tied bundles)
- Other oddly sized items
Preparing Items for a Special Collection
IMPORTANT: Please read these instructions before submitting your request
- Size: Items cannot exceed 72″ x 48″. Please bundle smaller items together. Bundles cannot exceed 48” in any direction. Items or bundles cannot exceed 40 pounds. Bags cannot exceed 25 pounds. To ensure safe handling of items by City Crews, please do not place sharp objects such as branches, sticks, broken glass, etc. in plastic bags. All bags and bundles must be securely tied. Branches must be bundled and yard waste must be contained (bagged).
- Oversized items: If you want an oversized item collected (such as a sofa or any item that exceeds the maximum size), please let us know when you schedule the pickup.
- Special handling: Appliances, televisions, computer monitors, and tires will be picked up by a special truck and should be kept separate from other items. If you have any of these for collection, let us know when you schedule the pickup. A fee might be charged for items requiring special handling.
- A maximum of five large items will be allowed for each scheduled pickup. A fee will be charged for additional items.
- On your scheduled special collection day, place all items at your normal weekly refuse collection location no later than 6:00 a.m. Please remember that the items cannot be out until a pick-up date has been confirmed by the Refuse department.
- Mattress handling: For the health and safety of refuse collection staff, all mattresses and box springs should be sealed in plastic before being placed out for collection. Plastic “mattress bags” can be purchased at most large retailers, home improvement stores, moving supply centers or online.
Please be aware that the refuse employees who are scheduled to pick up your bulky items cannot go onto private property because of insurance liabilities.