Recycling and reusing items is great, but an important and often overlooked element is reducing the amount of waste we generate in the first place. Taking steps to reduce waste helps reduce landfill use and saves natural resources. Here are some things you can start doing today to reduce waste:
- Be creative with gift wrapping. Use old calendars, catalogs, maps, or newspapers.
- Save used, empty food jars to store small household items or other food products, instead of buying special containers.
- Look for products that use less packaging. When manufacturers make their products with less packaging, they use less raw material. This reduces waste and costs. These extra savings can be passed along to the consumer. Buying in bulk, for example, can reduce packaging and save money.
- Request “paperless billing” to save paper and time by paying your bills each month online.
- Use reusable items from the “Bring Your Own Guide” from our #BYOLBC (Bring Your Own Long Beach City) Campaign to reduce the purchase of disposable items.
- Use rechargeable batteries.