Get a Library Card
Browse and borrow books, movies, music. Reserve a computer, find homework help, access high speed internet. Stream movies, download music + magazines, conduct research in our Digital Library, and access our collections of eBooks + audio.
We have something for everyone, and best of all—it's free!
Full Access Card
Access to all library resources, including computers and digital resources.
Limited Use - Five Item Card
For those who do not provide an ID and current address for full access, circulation is limited to five items at a time with access to computers and digital resources.
Computer Use Only
Access to computers and digital resources.
Download a Library Card Application
Return completed applications to any Long Beach Public Library.
Apply Online + Pick Up Your Card in Person
Submit a partial application online, then visit a library location to validate and pick up your card. You must be 18 years of age or older to apply online.
Any California resident may obtain a free Long Beach Public Library card.
Adults must show picture ID (CA driver's license or ID) with a current home address. If the ID does not confirm a current home address, the card type issued will be Limited Use. To upgrade to a Full Access card, bring one of the following, with current address to your nearest Long Beach Public Library:
- personal check
- recent utility or phone bill
- property tax receipt
- or any first-class mail with a current postmark
All youth applications must include a parent or guardian's signature and California ID number. Students with California or school ID should also bring their ID.
- I accept responsibility for all items checked out on my card.
- I agree to pay for any items lost or damaged, fees and fines.
- I agree to report a lost or stolen card immediately and understand that I am responsible for all items on the card until it is reported lost to the Library.
- I agree to inform the Library of any changes to my contact information.
- I understand that my Library card is for my use only and is not to be used by others, even my family.
- I understand that I must have my library card to borrow materials, access my record or use the Internet.
- I agree to follow all Library policies and the Library's Rules of Conduct.
Library cards are for self-use only. This protects individuals from other's misuse of library cards.
The only exception is when the parent listed on a child's account checks out materials using that child's card. This is allowed because the parent listed is the responsible party for materials checked out on the child's card.
The reading and viewing activities of youth under 18 are the responsibility of parents and guardians. The Library does not assume that responsibility.
Some library services are subject to fees and charges, including replacement library cards, overdue materials, and specialized research requests.
See a complete list of Library Services fees and charges.