The City of Long Beach has received four awards by the Los Angeles section of the American Planning Association (APA), including a Transportation Planning Award of Excellence. The annual awards, presented today, recognize exceptional planning achievements by individuals, cities, agencies, non-profits, and businesses in the Los Angeles region.
“This achievement illustrates Long Beach’s commitment to innovative development that promotes the enhanced livability and sustainability of our City,” said Mayor Robert Garcia. “Development Services deserves to be recognized by the American Planning Association for their significant planning efforts that create long-lasting improvements throughout Long Beach neighborhoods, including greater quality of life for residents.”
The following Long Beach initiatives and projects have been recognized for helping to shape the course of planning by providing safer and healthier communities and places of lasting value:
- Communities of Excellence in Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity Prevention (CX3) Pedestrian Master Plan; Award of Excellence, Transportation Planning
- The CX3 Pedestrian Master Plan provides a framework for increasing pedestrian access to healthy foods and enhancing opportunities for physical activity in 10 lower-income neighborhoods in the City. To learn more, visit the Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services website.
- BizPort; Innovative Use of Technology
- BizPort, the City’s new online business portal provides important resources for entrepreneurs and assists with the steps needed to plan, launch, and grow a business in Long Beach. The innovative and easy-to-use tool includes a translation feature to ensure equitable access for users.
- Safe Long Beach; Opportunity and Empowerment Award
- Adopted by the City Council in May 2014, the City’s Violence Prevention Plan aims to reduce all forms of violence, including domestic abuse, child abuse, elder abuse, hate crimes, bullying, gang violence, and violent crime. For more information about Safe Long Beach, visit the Long Beach Development Services website.
- Fern Nueno; Outstanding Young Planner
- A member of the Development Services Planning Bureau has been named Outstanding Young Planner of the Year. This title is awarded to an individual who exhibits exemplary leadership, and has made a valuable contribution to the advancement of the planning profession. Ms. Fern Nueno is an Advance Planner with over 11 years of experience in municipal planning. She has been involved in several City planning efforts, including the General Plan update and the Queen Mary Island Master Plan.
This is the fourth consecutive year that Long Beach has been recognized by the APA.
The APA is a professional organization representing the field of city and regional planning in the United States. The Los Angeles section of the APA is one of eight local sections of the APA’s California Chapter, with more than 1,300 members in the Los Angeles area. For more information on this organization, visit: http://apalosangeles.org/
.About Long Beach Development Services
The mission of Long Beach Development Services is to make a difference in our community by building a dynamic, safe, and sustainable City that honors its past and embraces the future. Visit us at www.lbds.info
, "Like" us on Facebook
, follow us on Twitter
, or subscribe to our YouTube