Long Beach Airport (LGB) is ready for the busy holiday travel season. The airport recently enhanced the roadways and pedestrian crossing in front of the historic terminal building to improve the travel experience for customers. Travelers are still reminded to take all necessary steps to ensure their holiday trips go as smoothly as possible.
“The Long Beach Airport is the most convenient and easy to navigate airport in Southern California,” said Mayor Robert Garcia. “These improvements ensure that residents and visitors will continue to have a welcoming gateway to Long Beach and the region.”
People traveling through the airport will see signs of improvement to the loading area. Directly in front of the terminal, a lane has been added so there are now three lanes total, allowing one for loading and two for vehicles to pass through. The center median has been improved and now provides more room for travelers waiting to be picked up. Safety has been enhanced with a raised crosswalk that will help reduce the speed of vehicles in front of the historic terminal building.
“We continually strive to provide a safe and convenient travel experience for our customers,” said Airport Director Jess L. Romo, A.A.E. “We are happy to announce these improvements, which will make that experience even better for travelers.”
Travelers are encouraged to do what they can to ensure their holiday travels go smoothly by arriving early, checking their airline’s baggage rules ahead of time, and verifying flight schedules on their airline’s website or app. Passengers may also download the free LGB Airport app on their Apple
devices; the app provides information on arrivals, departures, parking, shopping, dining, and more.
The holiday season is celebrated at LGB with an assortment of decorations and lights throughout the airport. A Christmas tree, Hanukkah menorah and Kwanzaa table welcoming travelers and the public in the Meeter Greeter Plaza will be on display beginning the week after Thanksgiving. Visitors who enjoy the decorations are encouraged to post photos to social media using the hashtag #MerryLGB.
Tips for Holiday Travel:
• Arrive at the airport at least 90 minutes prior to departure to ensure adequate time to get through security.
• Mother’s Rooms equipped to accommodate breastfeeding mothers are available in the historic terminal and in the south concourse.
• Guide and service dogs, emotional support animals, and other traveling pets are welcome at the airport. Relief areas are available north and south of the historic terminal.
• Self-parking is available in Lots A and B at a rate of $2 an hour with a maximum of $19 per day in Lot A, and $17 in Lot B.
• Electric vehicle charging is available in Lot B at a rate of $1 an hour for members and $2 an hour for guests.
• Curbside valet parking is available for $24 a day and includes a free car wash.
• Drivers picking up passengers are encouraged to use the free Cell Phone Waiting Lot, located at 3402 N. Lakewood Boulevard.About Long Beach Airport
Founded in 1923 as the first municipally-owned airport in California, Long Beach Airport (LGB) recently completed a revitalization to update its facilities. In 2012, a new passenger concourse opened to the public and has since garnered extensive praise for its modern design and architecture, local eateries and easygoing travel experience. Recently, both Fodor’s Travel Guide and the BBC named LGB one of the Top 10 terminals in the world, and USA Today and 10Best.com recognized LGB for Best Airport Dining in their Readers Choice poll. LGB offers non-stop service to several U.S. cities while supporting a healthy general aviation community with nearly 300,000 annual operations. The airport is also a source of substantial economic activity and employment, as well as a leader in maintaining a sustainable, environmentally responsible operation. For more news, pictures, videos and announcements of what's happening, "Like" us on Facebook
, or follow us on Twitter @LBAirport
and Instagram @lgbairport