Ranchos Walk 2019
Join us for the Ranchos Walk 2019 on September 28th and experience the cities of Long Beach and Signal Hill in a whole new way! Take a scenic walk through history and follow a high ridge trail that links Rancho Los Alamitos and Rancho Los Cerritos. The 9.4-mile scenic walk connects the CSULB campus, Reservoir Hill, Hilltop Park in Signal Hill, Longview Point at Willow Springs Park and Rancho Los Cerritos. There are also 6-mile and 3.5-mile options available and all participants are invited to attend the 175th anniversary celebration of Rancho Los Cerritos at the end of the walk. Participants will be able to purchase food and bring proper identification to responsibly enjoy the beer garden refreshments. There will not be a formal tour of Rancho Los Alamitos; however, participants are encouraged to explore the facility and grounds on their own. Shuttle services will be provided along the route.
Support Ranchos Walk 2019
3 Distances Available
Full Ranchos Walk: the full walk is 9.4 miles from just outside Rancho Los Alamitos to the entrance of Rancho Los Cerritos. Sign in from 7:30-8:30am at 1200 Palo Verde Avenue. Parking is available for a $9 all-day fee in CSULB lot E6. Carpooling, busing, and biking are encouraged. The walk will begin at 8:00am.
6-Mile Ranchos Walk: the 6-mile walk is from the National Guard Armory to the entrance of Rancho Los Cerritos. Sign in from 9:00-10:00am at 2200 Redondo Avenue. Parking is very limited. Carpooling, busing, and biking are encouraged.
3.5-Mile Ranchos Walk: the 3.5-mile walk is from Longview Point at Willow Springs Park to the entrance of Rancho Los Cerritos. Sign in from 10:00-11:00am at 2755 Orange Avenue. Parking is very limited. Carpooling, busing, and biking are encouraged.
7:00 AM: Shuttle service opens
7:30 AM: Registration for the full Ranchos Walk opens at CSU Long Beach, 1200 Palo Verde Avenue
8:00 AM: Ranchos Walk kickoff
8:30 AM: Full Walk Registration closes
9:00 AM: 6-Mile Ranchos Walk registration opens at the California National Guard, 2200 Redondo Avenue
10:00 AM: 6-Mile Walk registration closes, 3.5-Mile Walk Registration opens at Willow Springs Park, 2755 Orange Avenue
11:00 AM: 175th Anniversary Festival opens at Rancho Los Cerritos, 3.5 Mile Walk Registration closes
2:00 PM: Ranchos Walk 2019 Closes
What to Bring
Don't forget to wear comfortable shoes, sunglasses, a hat, and apply plenty of sunscreen. Bring a reusable water bottle to refill at water stations along the route. Three rest stops along the route will provide water, snacks, first aid, restroom facilities, and information for participants.
Please no dogs. This is a long walk and could be too much for your furry friend. Service dogs only will be allowed.
Download the izi Travel app on your smart phone to access digital route guidance and audio information on points of interest along the route. Open the app and search for "Ranchos Walk" to find the tour and start route guidance. Bring a power bank to ensure your battery will last for the full walk.
Bring money and your ID to purchase food and enjoy refreshments in the beer garden at the Rancho Los Cerritos 175th Anniversary Celebration.
Explore the Ranchos Walk route in the maps below.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic.
- Don't assume vehicles will stop. Make eye contact with drivers, don't just look at the vehicle. If a driver is on a cell phone, he or she may not be paying enough attention to drive safely.
- Cross streets at marked crosswalks or intersections, if possible.
- Obey traffic signals such as WALK/DON'T WALK signs.
- Look left, right, and left again before crossing a street.
- Watch for turning vehicles. Make sure the driver sees you and will stop for you.
- Look across ALL lanes you must cross and visually clear each lane before proceeding. Even if one motorist stops, do not presume drivers in other lanes can see you and will stop for you.
- Don't wear headphones or talk on a cell phone while crossing.
- Light colors and reflective materials make you stand out.