Grow Your Future with a Sustainability Internship
Join the Team
The City appreciates the impact that talented, energetic students can have on our organization and community. We look forward to your contributions in the areas of city planning and sustainability. This internship offers an exciting opportunity to take a leadership role in directing one or two sustainability projects and work on the issues you’re most passionate about.
Spring Internship Positions
Join our team by proposing a project you can accomplish to make Long Beach more sustainable. What skills and expertise can you bring to our programs? What issue are you most passionate about to make our City more environmentally friendly? Send us your project proposal and work with our team to make it a reality.
Download the job description for application instructions and requirements.
See our current Work Plan to learn about what our office is doing this year.
Examples of past projects include:
- Earth Week: Plan and organize events for the City's celebration of Earth Week by working with City departments to highlight environmental initiatives.
- Low Impact Development Ordinance: Assist with the establishment of the City's first low impact development ordinance including research, drafting ordinance and associated presentations and community outreach.
- Draft Green Report Card: Assist with the creation of the Draft Green Report card, including a breakdown of the City's green accomplishments. Intern responsible for creating the format, assembling and organizing information and completing a working draft that can be presented to the Sustainable City Commission.
- Conservation Element: Assist with the development of the City's Conservation Element update of the General Plan, including research of other similar elements, recommendations for inclusion in the element and writing the draft.
Other assignments, including, but not limited to assisting with the City's new green business program, creating market and community outreach collateral, website design, etc.
- Green Mapping Project: Using ArcMap (GIS), continue to build on past efforts to update and maintain citywide map of green components such as trees planted, solar systems installed, community gardens, etc. Intern responsible for taking data and creating GIS layers based on location data to be later used in a GIS map and online interactive Green Map with Google maps or similar technology.
- Green Grants: Research grant opportunities for citywide sustainability projects, assist with the development of project ideas and grant submissions, and write draft grant documents. Current grant topics include: Energy efficiency upgrades, rain barrel program, bike enhancements, stormwater upgrades, sustainability planning.
- Bike Parking: Research opportunities and Development Standards for the implementation of bike parking in the City of Long Beach.
Internship Dates & Deadlines
February - May
Spring Application Deadline: January 14, 2018
June - August
Summer Application Deadline: May 13, 2018
September - December
Fall Application Deadline: August 12, 2018
Application & Selection Process
Download the job description above for the application requirements of your chosen intern position. All applications will be reviewed by staff and the top candidates will be invited for an interview within three weeks after the application deadline. Successful candidates will be offered a position and start and end dates as well as working hours will be negotiated at that time. Administrative paperwork will also be given at that time, which includes fingerprinting, a background check and completing emergency contact information. All necessary paperwork and background clearance must be finalized prior to beginning work with the City.
For more information contact:
Office of Sustainability
100 W. Broadway, Suite 550
Long Beach, CA 90802