Our Pet Literacy program promotes humane treatment and the socialization of animals through reading out loud. This program improves the shelter environment for our guests, creates a connection between people and animals, promotes socialization, and prepares the animals in our care for adoption.
Schedule a self-guided tour to explore Long Beach Animal Care Services while participating in the highly-rated Pet Literacy enrichment program. Readers must be fifteen  years or older, or an adult must accompany them. The program is available on Wednesdays through Sundays from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. We are closed Mondays, Tuesdays & Holidays.
How It Works
All participants are required to use the mobile check-in service upon their arrival. The program is available on Wednesdays through Sundays from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM. We are closed Mondays, Tuesdays & Holidays.
- Sign up for Pet Literacy
- Bring the books of your choice.
- Enter through the Animal Admissions entrance.
- Each participant is required to check in to their visit using the online mobile check-in service.
- Pick up your name tag and map at the front counter of LBACS Admissions.
- After signing in and picking up your name badge, you may begin reading to the animals with your books using the designated areas outside the 600 dog cottage, the cat cottages, and the bunny barn.
- Seating is not provided. We encourage our readers to bring their own folding or camping chairs.
Readers can enter Long Beach Animal Care Services through the Animal Admissions entrance.
- Yes, you may bring the books of your choice. However, books are available if you do not have access to one.
Participants are required to check in during their visit using the online mobile check-in service on the website. Signs are posted around the shelter with the check-in QR code.
All readers are required to wear name tags to participate in the program. It helps staff differentiate readers from potential adopters. Please pick up your name tags at the front counter of Long Beach Animal Care Services in Admissions.
After checking in and picking up your name tag, you may begin reading to the animals with your books using the designated Long Beach Animal Care Services areas outside the dog cottages, the cat cottages, and the bunny barn.
- All students can receive service hours when they read to the animals but must sign in by using the mobile check-in. Any staff member can sign off on community service hours. If you forget your form, you may email the scanned Service Hours Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a digital signature and credit for volunteer hours.
- Readers must be fifteen  years or older to participate in the program, or an adult must accompany them.
- No, you may not touch the animals. Animal handling is limited to trained volunteers only. The volunteer program is available for adults eighteen  and older.
- Guided tours are available upon request. For groups of ten  or more, please schedule at least one week prior to your visit by using the online form.