All applicants must be willing and able to do all of the following:
- Work anytime during the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.;
- Work split shifts;
- Stand and walk for 2 ½ - 3 hours per shift;
- Have a dependable automobile available for work;
- Repeatedly step up and down curbs;
- Pass a hearing and vision test;
- Have dependable transportation to be able to report to any School Guard station within one half-hour of notification;
- Be willing and able to work in a substitute-relief capacity for any one of the School Guard stations located throughout the City;
- Be available by telephone to receive calls for daily assignment prior to the start of shift;
- Work in all types of weather;
- Tactfully deal and communicate effectively with the public, especially children;
- Wear a department issued regulation uniform at all times when working.
Work is seasonal (no guarantee of work during the summer), part-time (typically, a maximum of 6 hours per day in (2) hour blocks), and split shifts. The hours assigned will depend upon the location of the crossing station. As an example, a School Guard might work from 7:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m., 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and 2:15 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. New School Guards will be used to relieve other School Guards located throughout the City, and must be available to meet all time schedules, from 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. All School Guards may be temporarily moved to other work locations as needed. Uniforms are furnished by the Department of Public Works.
Employment for this position will begin with the start of the 2021-22 LBUSD school year. Currently scheduled for August 31, 2021.