Business License Tax and Fee Grant for Full-Service Restaurants
The BLTF Grant will provide financial relief to full-service, independently owned restaurants by paying certain business license taxes and fees charged by the City between the period of January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020. Approximately $1.3 million is available for the BLTF Grant.
The program will cover the following City taxes and fees for eligible businesses:
- Business License Taxes
- Parking and Business Improvement Area Assessments
- Health Permit Fees
- Fire Permit Fees
- Penalty or late payment fees incurred in the eligible period for the above taxes or fees
The BLTF Grant will provide grants to full-service, independent restaurants that meet all of the following criteria:
- Must have experienced financial hardship resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic and State and local Health Orders;
- Must have had a City of Long Beach business license in the calendar year 2020;
- Must operate a full-service, independent restaurant; and,
- Must not be in bankruptcy or permanently closed at the time of application.
The application intake and selection process will include the following steps:
- Applicant reviews program eligibility requirements.
- If eligible, the applicant completes a Prequalification Form.
- City staff screens applications for eligibility to receive grant funding.
- Applicants who are eligible for a grant will be required to submit the following documents:
- Business owner’s valid government photo ID or photo ID that can prove identity
- W-9 Form Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
- City staff contacts approved applicants to review and sign a Grant Agreement and other pertinent documents.
Businesses that require assistance completing the online Commercial Rental Assistance Grant application may call the City’s BizCare Hotline to receive assistance or visit one of the City’s BizCare Pop-Ups. More information on these services is provided below:
- Phone number: (562) 570-4249
- Hours of operation: Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
BizCare pop-ups are currently taking place through Dec. 30, 2021 as follows:
- Mondays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Admiral Kidd Park (2125 Santa Fe Ave.)
- Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library (5870 Atlantic Ave.)
- Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library
- Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., The Corner Pop-Up (2640 East Anaheim Street)
- Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mark Twain Neighborhood Library (1401 E. Anaheim St.)
- Application submission does not guarantee a grant.
- Funds are subject to availability.
- The City reserves the right to grant less than the requested amount based on availability of funds and overall grant portfolio.
- Only businesses located in Long Beach, California are eligible to apply for grant funding.
- Business operators that own multiple eligible businesses may qualify for more than one grant. However, receiving a second grant will be dependent on available funding.
For more information about business assistance and resources, people can go to the Business Support webpage or contact the City’s BizCare Hotline at 562.570.4BIZ.