IMPORTANT MESSAGE: We apologize for this unexpected inconvenience. Effective March 18, 2020, the City of Long Beach WIC Program cannot allow in-person contacts to prevent COVID-19 exposure until further notice. We will be enrolling and issuing benefits remotely over the phone. If you have any questions, please call us at (562) 570-4242 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program
The City of Long Beach Nutrition Services Division (NSD) - WIC Program - is committed to disseminating sound nutrition information and promoting healthy behaviors and active lifestyles. The Nutrition Services Division adheres to its mission by providing a wide variety of programs that include the following:
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Special Supplemental Nutrition Program
- Nutrition Education and Counseling on a Variety of Topics
- Breastfeeding Education and Consultation
- Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Program
- Breastfeeding Support at local hospitals
- Farmer's Market Nutrition Program
- Obesity Prevention & Physical Activity Campaign (OPPAC)
- Local Vendor Liaison Program
- First 5 Little By Little School Readiness Program
- Staff Worksite Wellness Program
- Speaker's Bureau
The WIC Program
The WIC Program is a Supplemental Nutrition Program that provides monthly food coupons, nutrition education, breastfeeding support, and referrals to medical and social services in the community.
As a Platinum WIC Program, our dedicated and innovative team provides extraordinary, compassionate, and nurturing services to enhance wellness by promoting and supporting healthy habits for life.
- To be eligible for the WIC Program you must meet the following criteria:
- A household gross income at 185% of the Federal poverty level.
- Be one of the following categories: pregnant women, postpartum women, breastfeeding mothers, infants, and children five years and under.
- Be at a nutritional risk, determined by trained WIC staff.
- Fathers, grandparents or foster parents taking care of children under the age of five.
If eligible to receive WIC Program services, participants are provided with food coupons that are redeemable at authorized stores for specified foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, milk, cereal, eggs, cheese, juice, peanut butter, beans, canned fish, soy and tofu products and infant formula. For a complete list of items. Food coupons are issued monthly and must be used within 30 days. Participants must also provide staff with proof of regular medical assessment. If eligibility continues, women may participate in WIC for six months after their baby's birth or up to one year if they are breastfeeding. Infants and children may participate until age five.
Eligibility depends on income and working families may qualify. The following link will determine your eligibility for WIC benefits:
If you qualify, call the WIC Program office at (562) 570-4242 or walk-in to one of our five sites. If available, please bring:
- Proof of income - Such as a paycheck stub, tax return, Medi-Cal card or letter from employer.
- Proof of address - Such as a utility bill, rent receipt or any letter received through the US mail.
- Identification - Such as a driver's license, passport, student ID, birth certificate or immunization card.
- Medical information - Current height and weight and current blood test for anemia for children over 6 month old; proof of pregnancy (if applicable).
- The person who is applying - Such as the mother or child; must be present at enrollment and all certification appointments.
The California WIC Card is here!
ONLINE NUTRITION EDUCATION CLASSES
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Register to Vote
Register to vote in the State of California or if you have a change of address.
WIC is an equal opportunity provider.
Contact us by Phone: (562) 570-4242
Contact us by Email at: Health-WIC@longbeach.gov