The Long Beach Health Department is dedicated to promoting the well-being of LGBTQIA2S+ communities by continuously supporting and making each individual feel welcomed. Our department supports this community by providing health education tools and a comprehensive list of individual mental health services, support group services, and more. We highly encourage you to the explore the resources provider below.
Social support groups are an important way to connect, share experiences, and feel the comfort of support. Our department has provided a list of social support groups that offer an inclusive and safe space for individuals to have open conversations.
- LGBTQ+ Center
- The LGBTQ+ Center in Long Beach provides many social support groups to help provide a safe, affirming, and inclusive space for all individuals identifying in the LGBTQIA2S+ community. Groups are facilitated by staff or peer-led and offered both virtually and in-person for ages 16 and up. All support groups are free to attend and not require a RSVP, unless otherwise stated.
- Gender Spectrum
- Gender Spectrum is an online resources provided to connect others with a safe space to create open conversations and support each other. This resource is avaiable for pre-teens, teens, parents, caregivers and other family members and adults.
- Bienestar in Long Beach offers weekly support groups for those that need a space of support. Groups are focused on specific communities such as people living with HIV/AIDS, transgender women, and more. For more information regarding support groups, contact Bienestar at 866.590.6411.
- PLFAG Long Beach
- Parents and Friends of Lesbian and Gays (PFLAG) provides peer support groups (in-person and online) to support parents, caregivers, and loved ones of LGBTQIA2S+ individuals. For more information about the Long Beach PLFAG chapter, please email the chapter at email@example.com.
- Atlantic Alano Club
- The Atlantic Alano Club provides 12-step recovery meetings (in-person and online) and associated events for LGBTQIA2S+ individuals in Long Beach. For more information about meetings and events can be found at their website.
It's important to find providers that consider and actively listen to your health needs and concerns. It may be challenging for those who are searching for gender inclusive care and unsure where to begin. Finding providers who can understand, support, and provide a safe space is essential. Our department has provided a list of transgender inclusive care options to help you choose.
- Trans Wellness
- APLA Health center in Long beach offers health services specifically for those who identify as transgender and are led by transgenders. Some services that are offered through the wellness program are gender-affirming hormone therapy, mental health services with trans certified therapists, and more. For more information regarding the Transgender Health Services, call 213.201.5000
- Transgender Health Services CSULB
- CSULB Student Health services offers support to students who are seeking information, resources, and referrals to support their health and wellbeing. The student health services offer free appointments to be seen at the clinic and provide discounted cost for tests and medication. For more information regarding the services, call 562.985.4771.
- Trans Health Bienestar
- Bienestar in Long Beach provides many services committed to fight stigma, discrimination, and equal access to quality healthcare for those who identify as transgender. Some services include prevention education, mental health resources, and more. For more information or if you have any questions about the program, call 866-590-6411 ext. 503
- Memorial Care Medical Group
- The Family Medicine Residency Program’s Transgender & Non-Binary Clinic at Long Beach Memorial Center provides services such as gender reaffirming care, primary care, and more. The clinic is committed in making sure improvements are made within the health care and well-being of the transgender community. For more information or if you have any questions about the services, call 562.933.0050
While the LGBTQIA2S+ community are resilient and face many adversities, many continue to struggle with their mental health. It is important we acknowledge the challenges the LGBTQIA2S+ communnity faces and find the support to feel heard.
- The Center
- The LGBTQ+ Center of Long Beach provides many ways that help approach challenges the community faces, such as trauma, anxiety, depression and more. Those eligble for services must be ages 13 and up. The center is unable to accept insurance for services currently. For more information and on how you can get started call 562.434.4455
- It Gets Better Project
- The It Gets Better Project has provided more than 1100 organizations with resources offering support to the LGBTQIA2S+ community. Some mental health topics include depression, substance abuse, homeless services, and more.
- The Trevor Project
- The Trevor Project offers anonymous, confidential, and free services to help support the LGBTQIA2S+ community with immediate social support. The Trevor Project also provides resources to learn about different topics such as gender identity, suicide, sexual orientation and more.
- The Trans Lifeline is a trans-led organization that helps supports those who identify as transgender through anonymous and confidential calls. Resources are available for topics such as supporting a trans loved one, social transition, depression and more. If you feel like you need to talk to someone whether you are experiencing challenges, or just want someone to listen contact their hotline at 877.565.8860
- SAGE National LGBTQ+ Elder Hotline
- SAGE LGBTQ+ Elder Hotline is a service that provides an open space to connect with older LGBTQ+ individuals experiencing similar challenges. If you feel like you need someone to listen or talk to, contact their hotline at 877.360.5428.
- The YWCA provides crisis support counseling services to individuals affected by sexual violence. They operate a rape crisis center and offer accompaniment services as needed. Their services are free, are offered in both English and Spanish, for all genders, ages 12+. The YWCA operates a 24/7 crisis hotline at 1-877-943-5778.
- APLA Long Beach Health Center - Behavioral Health Clinic (on the campus of St. Mary Medical Center) provides outpatient services for behavioral health, substance use, and medication assisted treatment. To schedule an intake, call the main number at 562.247.7740.
- C.A.R.E. Center
- The C.A.R.E. Center provides outpatient services for social services, health education, housing assistance, and mental health. Applicants must be HIV+ and over 18. To schedule an intake, call the main number at 562.624.4999.
Location Date & Time Phone Additional Info
1043 Elm Ave. Suite 302
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday
8 am - 5 pm
8 am - 7 pm
562.247.7740 Provides HIV/STI testing Appointment is highly encouraged. Bienestar
2690 Pacific Ave Ste 300
10 am - 6: 30 pm
866.590.6411 ext 113 The LGBTQ+ Center
2017 E 4th Street
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Friday
10 am - 6 pm
12 pm - 9 pm
10 am - 4 pm
562.270.0851 Provides free HIV/STI screening. Appointments are highly encouraged The Long Beach Health & Human Services - Sexual Health Clinic
2525 Grand Ave
8 am - 4:30 pm
562.570.4315 Provides both HIV/STI testing. Appointment is needed. Out of the Closet Thrift Store
3500 Pacific Coast Hwy
Mondays - Saturdays
10 am - 7 pm
10 am - 6 pm
562.494.0340 Provides free HIV testing
Location Date & Time Phone Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services - Sexual Health Clinic
2525 Grand Ave
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
AHF - Long Beach Wellness Center
3500 East Pacific Coast Hwy
Monday, Wednesday, & Friday
11 am - 7 pm
2690 Pacific Ave, Suite 300
Monday - Friday
10 am - 7 pm
866.590.6411 ext. 113 Care Center - Dignity Health St. Mary Medical Center
1043 Elm Ave., Suite 300
Monday - Friday
8:30 am - 12 pm
1:15 pm - 4:30 pm
562.624.4999 LGBTQ Center
2017 East 4th St.
Tuesday & Thursday
10 am - 7 pm
- AIDS Food Store
- AIDS Food Store is a food bank that provides food for individuals living with HIV or AIDs who live in Long Beach.