BUREAU OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
NOISE CONTROL PROGRAM
The City of Long Beach has established a Noise Control Program within the Department of Health & Human Services, Bureau of Environmental Health, to enforce the Noise Ordinance (Section 8.80.010) and address loud noises that may impact residents, businesses, and visitors. Noises that the program covers that may exceed noise control standards include (but are not limited to):
- Amplified music
- Loud stereos and TVs
- Leaf blowers
- Air conditioners and other equipment
- Parking lot sweepers
- Delivery noises
- Use of domestic power tools
The following are other types of noises that are handled in other departments, please reach out to those departments respectively:
- Loud talking, screaming, yelling, doors slamming and vehicle noises are considered as disturbing the peace and are handled by the Police Department:
- To report a noise disturbance which requires an immediate Police response dial 9-1-1.
- To report a non-emergency noise disturbance, please call the Police at (562) 435-6711.
- To report airport noise, please call Airport Noise Abatement (562) 570-2665.
- To report a special events noise, please call the Special Events Complaint Hotline (562) 570-5339.
- Additional departments can be found at When I Should File a Noise Complaint?
For further information, please see How to File a Noise Complaint in the City of Long Beach or call our Noise Complaint Hotline at (562) 570-4126. A Noise Complaint Form will be needed and can be completed online, mailed, faxed, or emailed to EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov.
Variances may be granted for exemption from provisions of the Noise Ordinance. A Noise Variance Application may be submitted for consideration/approval by the Noise Control Officer. Information regarding the Noise Variance Permit is indicated along with the application.
For additional information, please see City of Long Beach Municipal Code Chapter 8.80 for the City of Long Beach Noise Ordinance and/or contact our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday, at (562) 570-4132. You may also email us at