BUREAU OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
Vector Control Program
Vector Control Specialists in the Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), Bureau of Environmental Health, work daily to protect public health and safety by providing vector control services and education to the citizens of Long Beach. Vector Control Specialists must pass several State exams to obtain their licenses, and continue to take training to complete continuing education units to stay current in their field.
The Long Beach DHHS Vector Control Program is responsible for vector control services in the City of Long Beach with the exception of areas east of Lakewood Blvd (served by Greater Los Angeles Vector Control District) and a small area in the northwest section of Long Beach (served by Compton Creek Mosquito Abatement District). Vector Control Specialists provide vector control services, which include the control and elimination of insects and rodents that can transmit diseases, and education on how to control them, to the residents of Long Beach.
What are vectors?
A vector is any insect or arthropod, rodent, or other animal of public health significance capable of harboring or transmitting the causative agents of disease (e.g., plague, malaria) to humans. Under exceptional circumstances, insects or other arthropods that cause human discomfort or injury (no disease) are sometimes referred to as vectors.
Additional Forms & Resources
- Demolition Permit Release Form
- Mosquito Fish Request Form
- Vector Control Program Brochure
- Vector Control Program (Spanish)
- West Nile Virus
- WNV Facts and Tips
- WNV Facts and Tips (Spanish)
- Flea-Borne Typhus Brochure
- Flea-Borne Typhus Brochure (Spanish)
- Flea-Borne Typhus Warning
For more information on the Long Beach Vector Control Program, please call (562) 570-4132.
Additional Phone Numbers
- Africanized Honey Bee Hotline: (800) 233-9279
- To report emergency swarms and hives in Long Beach: 911
- To report swarms and hives in other cities in LA County: (800) 925-3800
- Red Imported Fire Ant Hotline: (888) 4FIREANT (1-888-434-7326)
- Dead Bird Surveillance: (877) 968-2473