Home » HR » City Employees » Retirement » How to Apply

How To Apply

It is suggested that you begin filling out the Retirement Election Application four to five months before your anticipated retirement date. CalPERS does not want the application submitted to them more than 90 days prior to your retirement date. Refer to the City's "Retirement Guide" for further information.

After I have applied for service retirement, may I change my mind?

You may cancel/change your retirement any time before your first check is mailed, before your retirement date. If you do change your mind, immediately contact CalPERS at (888) 225-7377. If you have completed the paperwork allocating your unused sick leave, you also need to contact Employee Benefits at 570-6523. Keep in mind that your department has been notified of your separation date, therefore, your department will proceed with the City's separation document unless you tell them otherwise. (If you wish to return to your position with the City contact your supervisor to ensure there is still a position available for you.)

Be advised that changes to your retirement date may result in a delay in you receiving your first pension check from CalPERS.