- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Located on the third floor of City Hall, Long Beach Development Services is comprised of four main bureaus: Building & Safety, Code Enforcement, Housing & Neighborhood, and Planning.
Our staff of nearly 200 works tirelessly to serve the community on a wide spectrum of policies and programs, including land use development, affordable housing, environment and historic preservation, neighborhood improvement, as well as building standards and safety.
Our mission is to make a difference in the community by building a dynamic, safe, and sustainable City that honors its past and embraces the future. That’s why we embrace as a work credo our Department slogan — Building a Better Long Beach.
Here are some of our noteworthy accomplishments in 2020:
- 44,310 building inspections completed, and 3,910 plan checks performed
- 4,561 code enforcement cases opened; 3,743 code enforcement cases closed
- 3,246 customers served at the Development Services Permit Center
- 14,386 customers assisted on the zoning information phone line
- 289 tons of trash and debris collected during 36 neighborhood clean-ups