- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Mechanical Code Requirements
- Permits are required before starting work.
- Permits become void if the work authorized is not commenced within 180 days of permit issuance, or if the work is suspended or abandoned at any time for a period of 180 days or more after the work first begins.
- All work must comply with the Uniform Mechanical Code and the Mechanical Regulations of the Long Beach Municipal Code.
- No work is to be covered or energized without first having been inspected and approved by the City.
- It is recommended that spare electrical capacity be installed initially to allow for the addition of future electrical appliances at minimum costs.
- California licensed contractors
- Homeowners of one- or two-family dwellings, accessory buildings, and facilities, if:
- The owner resides or intends to reside in the dwelling and can show proof of residence
- The mechanical work is performed by the owner
- The owner signs a statement that they will not employ an individual who is subject to California workers’ compensation laws
When a permit is issued, the signature and identity of the applicant will be verified — a California Driver’s License, a State of California Identification Card, or other positive identification will meet this requirement.
Contractors working in the City of Long Beach are required to have a Long Beach business license. If a contractor has employees, proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance must be shown when the permit is issued. Contractors working alone may waive this requirement, but they must show a pocket copy of their State Contractor’s License.
- You want to install, alter, reconstruct, or repair any heating, ventilating, cooling, or refrigeration equipment
- You want to move or install any heating, ventilating, cooling, or refrigeration equipment in a relocated building
Please note that a separate permit must be obtained for equipment installed in each separate building or structure.
Exception: A separate mechanical permit will not required for any mechanical work involving a Group R, Division 3, or Group M Occupancy for which a combined permit has been obtained, pursuant to Section 18.12.010.
Your work involves any of the following:
- A portable heating appliance
- A portable ventilating equipment
- A portable cooling unit
- A portable evaporative cooler
- A unit refrigerating system
- A refrigerating equipment that is a part of an equipment that a permit has already been issued for
- Any steam or hot/chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code
- Replacement of any component part or assembly of an appliance that does not alter its original approval and complies with other applicable requirements of this code
- All equipment for which a permit is obtained under this code must be inspected by the Building official or an authorized inspector. The Manufacturers Installation Instructions must be available for the inspector at the time of inspection.
- That portion of any equipment intended to be concealed by any permanent portion of the building shall not be concealed until inspected and approved.
- When the installation of any equipment is complete, a second or final inspection must be made.
- Equipment regulated by this code must not be connected to the fuel or power supply until authorized by the Building Official.
Exception: The requirements of this section will not be considered to prohibit the operation of any heating equipment installed to replace existing heating equipment serving an occupied portion of a building. This is in the event that a request for inspection of such heating equipment has been filed with the department not more than 48 hours after the replacement work is completed, prior to any permanent portion of the building conceals any portion of such equipment.
A final inspection approval may, upon notice, be revoked if a building official finds that the heating, ventilating, cooling, or refrigeration equipment fails in any respect to comply with the requirements of this code, or that the installation is unsafe, dangerous, or a hazard to life or property.
Development Permit Center
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|