- City Officials
- Mary Zendejas1st District
- Cindy Allen2nd District
- Kristina Duggan3rd District
- Daryl Supernaw4th District
- Megan Kerr5th District
- Suely Saro6th District
- Roberto Uranga7th District
- Al Austin8th District
- Dr. Joni Ricks-Oddie9th District
- Dawn McIntoshCity Attorney
- Laura L. DoudCity Auditor
- Doug HaubertCity Prosecutor
- Tom ModicaCity Manager
- Monique DeLaGarzaCity Clerk
Dr. Joni Ricks-Oddie
Laura L. Doud
City-Wide Elected Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Building Permits
- Building & Safety Fee Schedule
- Construction Code Resources and Documents
- Deputy Inspector Program
- Online Permits
- Plan Review Status/Permit Status/Records
- Planning Fee Schedule
- Planning Permits
- Program for Building Projects
- Project Plan Review and Submittal Service
- Schedule Building Inspection
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
To ensure that minimum safety requirements and standards are met, the Building and Safety Bureau requires that most building residential, commercial and industrial building and construction activities – including alterations, replacements, and repair work – obtain proper permits and inspections through the City. This process ensures the health and safety of our residents and infrastructure.
A building permit is an official approval from the City that allows you or your contractor to proceed with the construction, alteration, demolition, or repair of any building or structure on your property. This process helps to make sure that the proposed project complies with local Zoning and Building Regulations and ensure the safety of current and future owners and occupants. Additional requirements may apply in historic districts and coastal zones, in accordance with the City's Zoning Regulations.
The most common building permit types are:
- Building Permit is required to construct or modify a building or structure.
- Electrical Permit is required to install or modify an electrical system
- Plumbing Permit is required to install or modify a plumbing system.
- Mechanical Permit is required to install or modify heating, ventilation, refrigeration, air conditioning and other related systems.
- Combination Permit is required to construct, install, or modify all building, electrical, plumbing, and/or mechanical structure/systems.
Minor installations, repairs, or replacements may be exempt from obtaining building permits, as determined by the Building Official.
Please access the Project Development Review References list for a summary of other jurisdictions that may be involved with your project.
Permits shall be issued at the Development Permit Center to a:
- A licensed contractor who has a valid California State Contractor's License and an active Long Beach Business License. If a contractor has employees, proof of Workers' Compensation Insurance must be shown at the time of permit issuance. Contractors working alone may waive this requirement, but must show a pocket copy of their State Contractor's License.
- A Homeowner of a one- or two-family dwelling and related accessory building or structure in accordance with Information Bulletin BU-029 / Eligibility to Obtain a Construction Permit.
Building and Safety Bureau
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
The Permit Center is closed daily for lunch from Noon to 1 p.m.
411 West Ocean Blvd., 3rd Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802