- City Officials
Opening a Business
Doing Business With The City
- LBDS Home
- About Us
- Resources & Forms
- Programs & Projects
Housing & Neighborhood Services
Applications & Forms
Historic districts are designated neighborhoods that contain groups of older, unaltered houses that preserve the visual qualities and ambience of the past. While each building may not be individually eligible of landmark status, the neighborhood may qualify as a historic district if it collectively captures historical elements of old Long Beach. Even if the area is interspersed with some non-historical structures, it may qualify for historic district status if at least two-thirds of the houses are original older homes. Streetscape features, such as trees or light standards, may contribute historical value as well. If you are interested in nominating individual buildings or districts for historic landmark status, please call the City’s Zoning Information Office at 562.570.6194.
Below is a list of 18 neighborhoods that the City Council has so far designated as historic districts:
The oldest homes in the Belmont Heights neighborhood date back to 1905,
with peak construction taking place from 1918 to 1923. Historic styles include
Victorian, Mission Revival, Spanish Colonial revival, Tudor Revival, and Neo-
Traditional, but the Craftsman Bungalow style predominates about two-
thirds of homes in the neighborhood.
This district is part of the Alamitos Beach Townsite, developed by John W. Bixby in 1886 and annexed to Long Beach in 1905. More than half the homes in this district are Craftsman Bungalows built from 1910 to 1923, but some of the neighborhood’s oldest homes are Victorian. Other historically significant architectural styles include Prairie, Mediterranean, Spanish Revival, Tudor Revival, and Neo-Traditional.
- East of Junipero Avenue (not including Carroll Park or Lowena Drive)
- West of Redondo Avenue
- South of 4th Street
- North of Broadway
View a Map of the Bluff Heights Historic District.
View the Bluff Heights Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on July 13, 2004.
As a historically residential neighborhood, this district consists of large two-story Craftsman Bungalows and Period Revival homes constructed between 1903 and 1949. Located along the ocean bluffs on Ocean Boulevard and 2nd Street from Junipero Avenue to Loma Avenue, this area was among the first to be designated by the City Council as a historic district in 1982.
- Junipero Avenue
- Loma Avenue
- Ocean Boulevard
- 2nd Street
This district is a narrow one-block street reminiscent of “courtyard housing,” a development style common in the 1920s and 1930s in Southern California. With 10 identical one-story Spanish Colonial Revival homes on both sides of the street, this area lends itself to a visual unity and sense of community compared to newer developments in the City. Built-in 1923 by Mr. Steinbrenner, each home is 560 square feet and rectangular in shape, topped by a red tile shed roof.
- One block district located east of Alamitos Avenue
- Between 7th Street and Hellman Street
View a Map of the Benner Place Historic District neighborhood.
View the Brenner Place Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on Jan. 1, 1994
This is the City’s largest historic district. With nearly 1,500 homes, this area is a typical neighborhood that was developed following the City’s economic boom in the 1920s. Single-family homes in the Spanish Colonial Revival style predominate these streets, interspersed with other period revival styles such as Tudor Revival, Norman Revival as well as Neo-Traditional. Some homes, mostly California Bungalows, were moved into the area from other neighborhoods such as Signal Hill. The streetscape contributes to the district’s historical significance as well, with vintage street lights and large, mature trees.
- Wardlow Road
- Bixby Road
- Lime Avenue
- Gardenia Avenue
View the California Heights Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on Aug. 29, 2000.
Built between 1898 and 1923, the majority of homes in this residential district are California Bungalows, alongside 16 other historically significant architectural styles including Colonial Revival, Spanish/Mediterranean Revival, and Queen Anne. Reminiscent of the “horse-and-buggy” era at the turn of the 20th century, the neighborhood includes several old farmhouses with a Craftsman/Chalet influence that have been preserved in their original form.
- Carroll Park East
- Carroll Park West
- Carroll Park North
- Junipero Avenue
- 3rd Street
View a Map of the Carroll Park Historic District neighborhood.
View the Carroll Park Historic District ordinance, adopted by the City Council on July 24, 1990.
This district unites two previously designated districts, Drake Park and Willmore City. The former is named for Colonel Charles Drake, who was a pioneer developer of Long Beach’s Pike and beachfront resort. Willmore City is named for William Willmore, who first laid out housing tracts for Willmore City, which was later renamed Long Beach.
This neighborhood was part of Long Beach's original 1881 city plan and contains the highest concentration of early 1900's housing in the city, both single family and apartments. Homes here reflect Victorian, Craftsman, Mission, Prairie, Italian Renaissance and Spanish Colonial Revival styles.
- Loma Vista Dr.
- Park Court
- 4th St.
- Magnolia Ave.
- Irregular boundary to Nylic Court back to Magnolia to 7th St.
View a of the Drake Park/Wilmore City Historic District neighborhood.
Eliot Lane is a one-block historic district with small-scale homes lining a narrow street that was originally called Eliot Court. The homes were all built in 1923 by a single builder, Boland & Smith, and represent an early subdivision of modest homes at a time of booming economic growth in the City. All the original construction remains in place today. Architecturally, the Mission Revival style predominates this area, with a sprinkle of Craftsman homes. The street has unusual visual unity and cohesion, providing a snapshot of Long Beach in the 1920s.
- Between 3rd and Colorado Street
- St. Joseph and Argonne Avenues in Belmont Heights
View a Map of the Eliot Lane Historic District neighborhood.
View the Eliot Lane Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on Sep. 9, 2003.
The historic context statement indicates the Grant Neighborhood is a cohesive collection of residential properties that reflects Long Beach’s booming economic growth in the 1920s and corresponding rapid residential expansion in the city periphery, in particular through North Long Beach, as the rise of the personal automobile made settlement feasible in areas far from central Long Beach. The predominant architectural style in the neighborhood is Spanish Colonial Revival-influenced, but English Revival/Storybook-influenced homes, as well as Ranch Style homes are also found in the district.
Notably, this designation expands the geographic diversity of landmark districts around Long Beach. It is the first landmark district in North Long Beach.
6000 block of Walnut Avenue
View map of the Grant Neighborhood Historic District.
View the Grant Neighborhood Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on October 15, 2019.
Hellman Street was named after Isaias W. Hellman, a German immigrant who came to Los Angeles in 1859 and got a job in a dry goods store. Several years later, he opened his own store, grew into a very prominent and successful businessman, and eventually became one of the partners of the Alamitos Land Company. A profile of area residents as reflected in the 1920s City Directories shows occupants in various trades, from carpenters, actors, and decorative artists to electricians, bookkeepers, and cement molders. This district contains a high concentration of original Craftsman Bungalows from the first development of this residential neighborhood between 1911 and 1920. Reflective of California vernacular architecture during that time, the homes are simple, straight forward in design with open, spatial qualities. They commonly include gabled roofs and open porches.
- North of 9th Street between Orange and Walnut Avenues
- Hellman Street (from Orange Avenue to Walnut Avenue) including Toledo Walk
- Both sides of Orange Avenue from 730 to 937
- Between Hellman Street and 9th Street
- Hoffman Avenue from 733 to 915, 804 to 918
View a Map of the Hellman Street Craftsman Historic District.
View the Hellman Street Craftsman Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Oct. 27, 1992.
This group of eight structures represents two phases in the residential development of old Long Beach: luxurious mansions, followed by multi-family dwellings catering to the working class. The large-scale, single-family homes—reflecting a variety of architectural styles in the early 1900s—are prime examples of high-style Period Revival, vernacular Craftsman, Greek Revival, Victorian/Craftsman blend, and American Foursquare. The neighborhood historically notes several prominent City figures as residents, including Galen H. Welch, a member of the first-ever City Council of Long Beach, and Jonah Jones Jr., the founder of Long Beach Yacht Club. Th
e Mediterranean Revival fourplex, built in 1922, reflects the
following era of residential development in Long Beach, with two-story apartments built to accommodate the fast-growing working class population during the City’s economic boom in the early 20th century.
- Alley north of Anaheim Street to 14th Street
- 1324 to 1357 Linden Avenue
This district contains an unusually homogenous cluster of four Medieval Revival buildings on a curving one-block street. Constructed between 1919 and 1926, they exemplify the first importation of a European-derived style following World War I: Chateauesque architecture based primarily on French prototypes and brought to Long Beach by returning veterans, as well as Tudor Revival, based on English prototypes. The street is named after the Lowe family, who originally owned the land and used it as a flower farm in the early 20th century. Chateauesque architectural style was popular as apartment buildings back in the early 1920s, featuring steeply pitched roofs, protruding turrets, finials, and dormer windows.
- 230, 260, 280 Junipero Avenue
- 2202, 2220, 2230 Lowena Drive
View a Map of the Lowena Drive Historic District neighborhood.
View the Lowena Drive Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Feb 11, 1992.
Minerva Park Place is a narrow street lined with 16 Spanish Colonial Revival. Built by street resident and building contractor Frank Smith in 1925, the district's charm and small scale is reminiscent of courtyard housing, a development style common in Southern California in the early 20th century. Small in stature and modest in design, these single-family residences all share common features, such as flat stucco walls, flat roofs, arches, and accents of red roof tile. The design is also infused with the cubic geometry of famed architect Irving Gill.
- 1045-1085 Minerva Park Place
- 1724 and 1746 East 11th Street
View a Map of the Minerva Park Place Historic District neighborhood.View the Minerva Park Place Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Nov 7, 1989
This district is one of the City’s oldest and biggest neighborhoods. Characterized primarily by the intensive development of Craftsman Bungalow single-family residences between 1910 and 1922, the Rose Park Historic District is representative of old Long Beach during its rapid economic and population growth in the early 20th century. Uniform and cohesive by nature, Craftsman Bungalows are characterized by their horizontal orientation, medium- to low-pitched gable roofs, broad open porches framed by heavy piers, and wide windows with broad wooden framing. The area is also interspersed with Victorian homes built in 1905, Rancho and Neo-Traditional houses built in the 1930s and 1940s, as well as multi-family units constructed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style.
- East of St. Louis Avenue
- Alley north of 7th Street
- Coronado Avenue and 10th Street
View a Map of the Rose Park Historic District neighborhood.
View the Rose Park Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Sep. 9, 1997.
A continuation of the Rose Park Historic District on the south side of 7th Street, most homes in this district are single-family Craftsman Bungalows built between 1910 and 1924. Others include multi-family units in the Prairie/Mission Revival style and Spanish Colonial Revival Style.
- North of 4th Street
- South of 7th Street
- Cherry Avenue and Coronado/Obispo
- Includes only residential homes facing the avenues
View a Map of the Rose Park South Historic District neighborhood.
View the Rose Park South Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Aug. 7, 2001.
The Sunrise Boulevard Historic District reflects the development of Long Beach from its early farms and ranches to a residential neighborhood. The Butler Ranch was eventually developed into the Porter Milk Sanitarium, before the area was transformed into a residential district in the early 1900s. An early motor court, named the El Cortez, was built on the site of the sanitarium, which today provides small apartments. A majority of homes in this district are Craftsman Bungalows, ranging from large mansions to small-scale bungalows originally built as workers’ housing. Another architecturally significant style in this district is Spanish Colonial Revival, constructed between 1924 and 1928.
- 2515-2596 Lime Avenue
- 2444-2588 Olive Avenue
- 638-836 Sunrise Boulevard
- 701-745 Vernon Street
- 804 E. Willow Street
Built primarily in 1924, the homes in this district show the rapid growth of the City of Long Beach during this time. According to building permit records, this was the record year for building activity in the City. Wilton Street, which sits near Signal Hill, saw a population boom and spike in demand for housing due to the huge oil strike in 1921. Most of the homes in the district were purchased immediately and fully occupied by 1925. The homes, uniform in design, reflect an early phase of the Spanish Colonial revival style with Mission Revival overtones. Some of the shared architectural features in these homes include flat roofs with a front porch and exterior patio, stepped parapets with elevated corners reminiscent of towers. They are all one-story structures, roughly 900 to 1,000 square feet in size.
- 3800-3926 Wilton Street
- Between Termino and Grand Avenues
- 1634 Grand Avenue and 1637 Termino Avenue
View a Map of the Wilton Street Historic District neighborhood.
View the Wilton Street Historic District Ordinance , adopted by the City Council on Aug. 1, 1995.
Built between 1928 and 1934, this two-block district is named after its developer William S. Wrigley, Jr., the chewing gum magnate. The neighborhood is characterized by modest single-family homes built as working-class cottages. Most structures reflect Spanish Colonial Revival, interspersed with other Period Revival designs. The Wrigley Area Historic District exemplifies the economic and historical heritage of the community, illustrating the growth and continuing vitality of the City while the nation was in the throes of Depression.
- 2008-2191 Eucalyptus Avenue
- 439 W. 20th Street
- 417 W. 21st Street
View a Map of the Wrigley Area Historic District neighborhood.
View the Wrigley Area Historic District Ordinance, adopted by the City Council on Dec. 12, 1989.
Historic Preservation Contact
|M:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|T:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|W:||9:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|TH:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|
|F:||8:00 AM - 4:00 PM|