Training and Program Success
- Identify all staff that will be involved with food scraps collection.
- Designate a "Food Scraps Champion" to take the lead on staff training and monitoring of the program.
- Educate new staff on how to sort properly during training.
- Explain what food scraps are and why it is being collected for diversion.
- Food scraps are any leftover food-based material.
- State law requires this material to be collected and diverted to prevent the generation of greenhouse gases.
- Ensure all staff know locations of inside containers and outside cart.
- Direct staff to posters or other educational material to ensure continued proper sorting.
Resources to help set up food scraps collection and train staff:
- Program Overview Handbook - English, Khmer, Spanish, Tagalog
- Food Scraps Tri-Fold Brochure - English, Khmer, Spanish, Tagalog
- Program Setup Guide - English, Khmer, Spanish, Tagalog
- How to Set Up Your Food Scraps Container video:
- Food scraps weigh more than trash so it is best to empty containers when 1/2 to 3/4 full.
- Tie the top of the bag before moving to outdoor cart to prevent spills.
- Keep collection containers clean by keeping them free of food and liquids.
Contamination is any material that does not belong in that container (i.e. trash or recycling).
- Monitor containers for contamination.
- Place tongs near your indoor container for easy removal.
- Remove any contamination and retrain staff on proper sorting.
- Increase signage to deter contamination.
Resources to help prevent contamination:
- 11" x 17" 3-Stream Poster - English, Khmer, Spanish, Tagalog
- Food Scraps Guidelines Flyer - English, Khmer, Spanish, Tagalog
- What Goes Where? How to Sort Materials at Your Business video:
Learn more about our pilot program by signing up to attend a Commercial Food Scraps Collection virtual workshop. To request a virtual workshop to be presented in Khmer, Tagalog, and Spanish, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Tuesday||May 18, 2021||10:30 am - 11:00 am||Register Here|
|Wednesday||May 19, 2021||3:00 pm - 3:30 pm||Register Here|
|Monday||May 24, 2021||10:30 am - 11:00 am||Register Here|
|Monday||May 24, 2021||3:00 pm - 3:30 pm||Register Here|
View a recording of our virtual workshop in English or Spanish below:
English recording - COMING SOON!