Special Collection 101
Special Collection of Oversized Items (that won’t fit in your cart)
Before discarding an unwanted item, determine if this item can be donated to be reused for someone in need. See our Donation Guide for a list of local resale organizations and thrift shops near you.
If your only option is to discard it, the City of Long Beach provides each City-serviced refuse account 12 Special Collections per year at no additional cost. To request a special collection, use our online form to submit a request or call the Refuse Hotline at (562) 570-2876 to schedule a pickup of your bulky or oversized items. Please note that a regulatory fee may be charged for items requiring special handling. See below for collection restrictions that may apply.
Request a special collection online.
- Appliances (for safety, refrigerators and freezers must have doors removed or duct-taped shut)
- Computers and monitors
- Television sets
- Tires (with or without rims, maximum of 16 inches in size and maximum of 5 tires per pickup)
- Tree branches, yard debris (4 feet in length, 40 pound tied bundles)
- Other oddly sized items
Preparing Items For A Special Collection
IMPORTANT: Please read these instructions before submitting your request.
- Size: Items cannot exceed 72″ x 48″. Please bundle smaller items together. Bundles cannot exceed 48” in any direction. Items or bundles cannot exceed 40 pounds. Bags cannot exceed 25 pounds. To ensure safe handling of items by City crews, please do not place sharp objects such as branches, sticks, broken glass, etc. in plastic bags. All bags and bundles must be securely tied. Branches must be bundled and yard waste must be contained (bagged).
- Oversized items: If you want an oversized item collected (such as a sofa or any item that exceeds the maximum size), please let us know when you schedule the pickup.
- Special handling: Appliances, televisions, computer monitors, and tires will be picked up by a special truck and should be kept separate from other items. If you have any of these for collection, let us know when you schedule the pickup. A fee may be charged for items requiring special handling.
- A maximum of 8 large items or 25 bags/bundles/boxes of trash will be allowed for each scheduled pickup. Customers may opt to use 2 free special pickups for the same day.
- On your scheduled special collection day, place all items at your normal weekly refuse collection location no later than 6:00 am. Please remember that your items cannot be placed outside until a pickup date has been confirmed by the Refuse Hotline.
- Mattress/boxspring handling: For the health and safety of refuse collection staff, all mattresses and box springs must be sealed in plastic before being placed outside for collection. Plastic “mattress bags” can be purchased at most large retailers, home improvement stores, moving supply centers, or online.
- Please be aware that the refuse employees who are scheduled to pick up your bulky items cannot go onto private property because of insurance liabilities.