Long Beach Public Library (LBPL) cards are free for all California residents. Get your library card today!
Full Access cardholders may borrow up to 50 items at a time, with a maximum of:
- 15 DVDs
- 25 CDs
- 25 audiobooks
- up to 3 items on a specific subject
- 1 Chromebook
- 1 MiFi device
- 1 CA State Parks Pass
|Check Out Period
|Books and Magazines
|eBooks and eAudiobooks
|7, 14, 21 days
|Full Access MiFi
|CA State Parks Pass
Return materials at any Long Beach Public Library.
All items, excluding CA State Parks Passes, may be renewed up to 4 times unless there is a hold on the item.
|Book, audiobook, DVD, music CD, Chromebook, MiFi
|CA State Parks Pass
- I accept responsibility for all items checked out on my card.
- I agree to pay for any items lost or damaged, fees and fines.
- I agree to report a lost or stolen card immediately and understand that I am responsible for all items on the card until it is reported lost to the Library.
- I agree to inform the Library of any changes to my contact information.
- I understand that my library card is for my use only and is not to be used by others, even my family.
- I understand that I must have my library card to borrow materials, access my record or use the Internet.
- I agree to follow all library policies and the Library's Rules of Conduct.
Important Information for Parents and Guardians
Library cards are for self-use only. This protects individuals from other's misuse of library cards.
The only exception is when the parent listed on a child's account checks out materials using that child's card. This is allowed because the parent listed is the responsible party for materials checked out on the child's card.
The reading and viewing activities of youth under 18 are the responsibility of parents and guardians. The Library does not assume that responsibility.
Managing Your Library Account
Your library account gives you quick, online access to your checkouts and library card account information.
Use your account online to:
- Renew items you have checked out up to 4 times if no one else is waiting.
- Place holds on items you want to borrow.
- See when your items are due and check if you have overdue items.
- Freeze your holds when you are out-of-town or on vacation.
- View any charges on your account.
- See if any items on hold are ready for pick up.
- Create and share book lists.
- Keep track of your borrowing history (opt-in to enable).
You can log in to your library account from Encore, the Library's online catalog.
Log in to your account:
- Visit the Encore website.
- Enter your barcode (the 14-digit number on the back of your library card, starting with 23090). Do not include the space.
- Enter your PIN. This is the 4-digit number you chose when you signed up for a library card.
- If you did not create a PIN when you got your card, try the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- If you do not know your PIN, you can call or visit any Long Beach Public Library location to reset your PIN. Or, you can change it online at Forgot your PIN.
- If you know your PIN, you can always change it once you're logged in.
- Log in to Encore and search for the material you'd like to place on hold.
- Click the Request It button.
- Select the Long Beach Public Library location where you'd like to pick up your hold. Click the Submit button.
- To confirm that your hold was placed, click on the My Account link and view the Holds section.
- Check your place in the hold line: Under status, you can see what place you are in line for that item. Example: 3 of 4 holds.
- Cancel a hold request: Click the Cancel checkbox for the hold you want to cancel. Then click the Update List button.
- Change a hold pick-up location: Click the Pick-Up Location dropdown and select the new location. Then click the Update List button.
- Update the "Cancel If Not Filled By" date: Please call any Long Beach Public Library location to update the date.
- Freeze/unfreeze a hold request: Click the Freeze checkbox for the hold you want to pause. Then click the Update List button. To unfreeze, simply uncheck the Freeze checkbox and update the hold list.
You can sign up for email notifications through your online account. We'll send you reminders when:
- your item is due soon
- your item is overdue
- your hold is ready for pick-up
- your hold has been canceled
- Log in to Encore.
- Click the My Account link and then click the Edit Account button.
- Enter your email address and click the Submit button. Your email address is used for library account purposes only.
Add LBPL_Notices@lbpl.org to your email address book and safe senders list to ensure notifications are delivered to your inbox. Check with your email provider to be sure they accept messages from the email address mentioned.
Create and update lists:
- Log in to Encore.
- Search for the item you want to add to your list.
- Once you've found the item, click the basket icon (Add to Cart) under the "Additional actions" text.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 as needed. The cart will eventually time out, but you should have enough time to add your titles.
- View your saved items by clicking the My Cart link at the top of the screen.
- Select the items you want to add (by default, all items in the cart are selected) then click the Save to List link.
- A pop-up window will open. You can either save to a new list or add to an existing list.
- Enter a name and short description for your list then click the Add (or Create) button.
View and manage your list(s):
- To view your list(s), click the My Account link.
- Click the My Lists section.
- Your list(s) will be displayed along with the number of items on the list(s).
- Click a list name to open the list and make changes or place requests on its list items.
- Log in to Encore.
- Click the My Account link then click the Reading History section.
- Click the Save Reading History button.
- The next time you check out library material (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.), your items will be listed in place of the "No Reading History Available" text.
Please note: The default for Library accounts is for the checkout history to be off. You must opt in to activate your checkout history. Your history is private and will only build from the point you opt in. You may delete specific records from your history by selecting the checkbox next to the item and clicking the Delete Marked Item button. If you change your mind later, you can always opt out and delete all items from your history.
Using the Library Online
Use the LBPL mobile app to search the catalog, place holds, renew materials, and more! We also offer a selection of free apps to support the resources in our Digital Library.
- Google Chrome
Browsers that do not support HTML5 standards are not recommended. If you are having trouble with the Library's website, try testing your browser.
We recommend these default browser settings:
- Enable Cookies
Bookmark us in your browser for quick and easy access online:
- Library Homepage: http://www.longbeach.gov/library/
- Library Catalog: https://encore.lbpl.org/iii/encore/
- Your Library Account: https://encore.lbpl.org/iii/encore/myaccount
- Digital Library: https://www.longbeach.gov/library/digital-library/
If you experience trouble viewing the Library website, catalog, or your account, try these tips:
- Clear your browser cookies and cache.
- Update your bookmarks and favorite links to be sure you are using the most up to date URL for the Library.
- If you are on a personal device, set your browser's autocomplete, autofill, or password manager feature to remember your Library Card Number and PIN. Not recommended for those using shared or public devices.
- Third-party browser plug-ins, firewall, or antivirus software settings may interfere with the normal use of our website and hosted services. In the event of difficulties, please try disabling or updating those settings for the URLs listed in our Recommended Bookmarks.