Some Outdoor Recreation Opens TodayRelease Date: 2020-05-11
Starting today, the City of Long Beach is implementing new guidelines for the use of beach bike and pedestrian paths and tennis courts in parks to reopen.
We know our community has been anxious to get back outdoors. While our beaches are still closed, we are looking forward to the beach bike and pedestrian path opening up safely. Please remember to practice physical distancing so that we can continue to make more places available.
Starting today, May 11 and until further notice, the following safety protocols must be adhered to:
Beach bike and pedestrian paths
- Stay at least six feet from others who are not members of your household at all times.
- Avoid crowded areas.
- Do not gather in groups or linger at any one location, except as needed for brief rests.
- Face coverings are required when in close contact with other people but are not required while engaging in physically-distanced exercise.
- Beach bathrooms are now open.
- Beaches and beach parking lots remain closed.
- Required to implement a Tennis Physical Distancing Protocol prior to reopening.
- Pro shop is allowed for curbside pickup only.
- Restaurants and concessions are for takeout only.
Park parking lots will also reopen today. Public parks are open for passive activities only, including walking, running and biking. Social gatherings and picnicking are not allowed in the parks or park parking lots. Beach parking lots, however, will remain closed until further notice. Retail businesses, car dealership showrooms, walking trails and golf courses opened on May 8 with restrictions and similar safety protocols.
All existing and future amendments to the City Health Officer’s “Safer at Home” Order, previously set to expire May 15, will remain in effect until further notice or amendment. The City will continue to update the Order as needed to protect public health.
Mayor Robert Garcia