A New Day in Long BeachRelease Date: 2021-06-15
Today marks a new day in Long Beach.
With both our city and the State of California having surpassed the most significant milestones outlined by our health experts and scientists, we have reached a point where we can now fully open the economy.
Measures like physical distancing, capacity limits, and the color tier system will no longer be in place. It also means that California's mask requirements for fully vaccinated individuals will be lifted in most settings according to the CDC's guidance.
Everyday activities will be allowed and businesses can open at full occupancy with risk-reduction measures in place. We have reached this point thanks to our public health workers, those who have been vaccinated and everyone who has made sacrifices to protect themselves and others. Thank you for everything you have done, and the sacrifices you have made over the past 15 months to keep people safe.
Here are some changes effective immediately:
- Restaurants, shopping malls, movie theaters, and most everyday places will be able to open as normal with no capacity limits or social distancing required by the state.
- Due to the increased risks caused by travel and crowds, indoor events of 5,000 or more people, attendees must confirm proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 status to be allowed entry.
- For outdoor events of 10,000 people or more, it is strongly recommended that attendees follow the same guidelines, though proof of vaccination or a negative test is not required.
- Mask requirements for fully vaccinated Californians will be ending as well, with the exception of uniquely vulnerable settings like hospitals, long-term care facilities, homeless shelters, and public transit.
- Businesses must still comply with CalOSHA requirements to protect their own workers, which currently includes masking requirements and social distancing. These rules are currently being discussed by CalOSHA and more guidance will be provided very soon.
This is a great day for our city and we have come so far. As of today, 99% of our seniors and 67% of adults in our city have been vaccinated. I am confident that we will hit our target of 70% soon, bringing even more peace of mind to folks.
Thank you and Go Long Beach,
Mayor Robert Garcia