Home » Park » Doing Business In the Parks

Doing Business wirh PRM

Doing Business in Parks, Beaches and Marinas!

PRM LogoThank you for considering the operation of a business in Long Beach parks or beaches! Most individuals or businesses that operate or generate revenue on Long Beach parkland or beaches are considered a concession and must obtain a permit from the Contract Management Division of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine (PRM). Permits for large concessions are generally awarded through a public solicitation process, such as a Request for Proposals (RFP), smaller concessions are generally directly negotiated.

Numerous concessions currently operate in parks, beaches and marinas throughout Long Beach and they generally fall into two categories: food service or commercial recreation. Food service concessions can range from pushcarts selling hot dogs and park picnic caterers to beach concession stands. Commercial recreation concessions can range from fitness providers, moon bounce vendors, and boat charter services. 

Contact icon

How Do I Begin?

In order to start the process, please call us at the contact information listed below to discuss your proposed business. We will help you refine your idea and answer all your questions. 
Please Note: We are currently NOT accepting applications for ice cream, hot dog, or all other types of vending in the parks. 

Money Icon

Do I Pay a Fee?

Yes, all business operating on Long Beach parks, beaches, marinas or other facilities must pay a fee for the use of public property. Fees charged by PRM are either a percent of gross receipts with an annual required minimum or a negotiated flat fee. Larger businesses are usually charged a percentage of their annual gross receipts while smaller businesses are usually charged a flat fee.

Example Fee Structure for Smaller Businesses:

• Picnic Service Provider: $250 or 10% of gross receipts, whichever is greater.
• Fitness Service Provider: $350 per year

Paper icon

What Do I Need to Submit?

If your idea appears to be feasible (as determined by PRM) and a Request for Proposal process is not required, then you will be requested to send a letter and backup information outlining your Proposal to the PRM Contract Management Division at the address below. Please include the following information in your Proposal:

Your Contact Information:

  • Your name, address, telephone number(s), email address, and website address (if any).
  • Your Legal Business Name or DBA (if applicable)

Your Business Structure: 
Do you plan to operate as an: individual/sole proprietor, partnership, limited liability company (LLC), or as a corporation, etc.?

Your Business Documentation:

  • Fictitious Business Name Statement
  • Articles of Incorporation
  • Bylaws

A Description of your Proposed Concession: 

  • What do you plan to sell?
  • Where would you like to conduct your business? Please note the specific park, beach or marina location(s).
  • Tentative price list for the food you plan to sell or the recreational service you plan to provide.
  • Your background providing this type of service, if any.
  • Business references

Business History, if any: 

  • How many years have you operated a similar business?
  • What is the location of your current business?
  • Provide any other information you feel is necessary.

Upon review of your Proposal, other information/documentation may be requested.

Once we receive your Proposal, we will call you to discuss your Proposal and let you know the next steps. If your Proposal is approved by PRM, then your Proposal must be approved by either the Long Beach Parks and Recreation Commission or Long Beach City Council. Once your Proposal is approved by one of the aforementioned governing bodies, then the City Attorney will issue a permit for your signature. Your signed permit will then be executed by appropriate City or PRM staff. Once your permit has been executed, you will be directed by PRM Contract Management staff to obtain insurance and any necessary permits, such as a Long Beach Business License and/or Long Beach Health Department permit.

Please note that the proposal process can be very time consuming and can take approximately five weeks to four months, please plan accordingly.

Do I Need Insurance?

Yes, You Will Be Required To Provide Insurance. Requirements Will Vary, But Are Typically As Follows:

General Liability Insurance:

  • Coverage must be in an amount not less than $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate
  • Policy must be from an insurance company that is admitted to transact insurance in California, or a non-admitted carrier with a rating of or equivalent to A:VIII by A.M. Best Co.

An Additional Insured Endorsement: 

  • Either a Blanket Endorsement or a separate endorsement to the policy naming “The City of Long Beach, its officers, employees and agents” as additional insureds.
  • Coverage must be equivalent in scope to either ISO form CG 00 01 11 85 or CG 00 01 11 88.

Other Insurance And Or Higher Liability Insurance Limits May Be Required Depending On The Type And Location Of Your Proposed Business, Such As:

  • Automobile Insurance, equivalent in scope to ISO form CA 00 01 06 92 covering Any Auto, in an amount not less than $500,000.
  • Food Product Liability Insurance, if food will be provided or sold
  • Umbrella Liability Insurance, not less than $1 million
  • Workers Compensation Insurance, if you have employees
  • Directors and Officers Insurance, if a nonprofit organization

Please contact your insurance agent to inquire the cost of obtaining the required insurance, but do NOTpurchase any insurance until you are instructed to do so by PRM Contract Management Division staff.

Will I Need A Long Beach Business License Or Long Beach Health Department Permit?

Yes, you will need to purchase an annual Long Beach Business License, but please but do NOT purchase a Business License until you are directed to do so by PRM Contract Management staff. If you plan to provide or sell food, you will be required to provide a Long Beach Health Department permit, but please do NOT pay any fee to Long Beach Health Department until you are directed to do so by PRM Contract Management staff.

Where Can I Get A Cart, Trailer Or Kiosk?

You are responsible for finding and securing your own concession equipment, which will meet Long Beach Health Department approval if you are selling food. Do NOT purchase any equipment until you have a fully executed permit issued by the PRM Contact Management Division.

 Please do NOT purchase any equipment, enter into any other agreements, pay any fees or apply for any permits (including a Long Beach Business License and/or Health Department permit), until you have been officially notified, in writing, that you have been awarded a Permit by PRM. However, if you do not already own concession equipment, you may want to begin your search in order to know where to obtain the equipment and the cost of the equipment. 

Whom Do I Contact?

Beaches & Waterways 
Lori Craig,  Administrative Analyst 

Park Partnership Division
City of Long Beach Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine
2760 N. Studebaker Road 
Long Beach, CA 90815-1697
Phone: (562) 570-3130
Email: Lori.Craig@longbeach.gov

City Parks
Park Partnernsip Division
City of Long Beach Department of Parks, Recreation and Marine
2760 N. Studebaker Road
Long Beach, CA 90815-1697
Phone: (562) 570-3131