Livingston Drive Playground
Livingston Drive and Second Street
Livingston Drive was just a greenbelt in Belmont Shores until some enterprising and enthusiastic residents raised money to add a playground on the site in 1989. The park is now alive with families who enjoy watching their children enjoy the park.
Livingston Drive Park is a section of a Pacific Electric Railway right-of-way including four blocks along the south side of Livingston Drive. The City acquired the majority of the site in 1963. The 100 feet wide strip including four blocks, were planted with ice plant and lawn, and reserved for future street widening.The northern most block, between Granada Avenue and Argonne Avenue, was acquired in the 1920's, and was permitted to the Bay Shore Congregational Church for a parking lot in 1954 as an interim use.
After street widening plans were abandoned in 1970, the western most block was sold for the development of a bank and small shopping center at the corner of Second Street and Livingston Drive in 1979. In 1990, a group of neighbors organized and raised funds to match the City for the construction of a pre-school aged children's playground (ages 3-5) in the block between Park Ave. and Argonne Ave. In 2007, Belmont Shore residents again organized and the Tot Lot Committee (TLC) raised funds for the replacement of the playground equipment, which was then the oldest in the City, and an expansion of the playground to include a toddler area (2-3 years old) and a school aged children's area (5-12 years). This was completed in January 2009.
Picnic Area, Play Equipment.