CONCEALED-CARRY WEAPONS (CCW) LICENSE INFORMATION
Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Application Guidelines - City of Long Beach Residents
The Long Beach Police Department (LBPD) is aware that the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department is no longer processing Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) licenses for Long Beach residents effective August 1, 2022. With this development, the Department is also evaluating the recent U.S. Supreme Court Bruen Decision and forthcoming updates to California CCW statutes that include a revised CCW application process and forms.
Updates to LBPD’s CCW license process for Long Beach residents will be posted on this web page. Please continue monitoring this site for any relevant updates. Questions may be sent to LBPD-CCW@longbeach.gov.
- 9/22/2022 - LBPD is currently setting up a process to accept CCW applications. We appreciate your interest and continued patience while we establish our program. We will continue to provide updates, including an anticipated go-live date in the near future.
- 10/28/2022 - LBPD has an item on the 11/1/2022 Long Beach City Council Agenda to request authorization to contract with the CCW vendor, Permitium, to use their electronic system. The Permitium system serves as an end-to-end online solution that includes the application, background check tracking, processing, payment, and issuance of licenses, and will allow applicants to have direct communication with CCW Unit staff and receive real-time status updates. A timeline will be developed after the contract is approved by the City Council. LBPD’s goal is to have the program go-live as soon as possible. For additional questions, please email email@example.com.
Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) License Application - Qualified Retired Long Beach Police Department Peace Officers
California Penal Code § 26305 states that CCW licenses may be issued to honorably retired peace officers who have met the minimum years of service and have accepted a service or disability retirement. The issuance of a retired peace officer carry concealed weapon license is reviewed on a case‐by‐case basis. LBPD’s CCW policy and procedures are subject to change pursuant to state and federal laws.
Honorably retired LBPD peace officers requesting a CCW endorsement renewal must:
- Complete the Retired Peace Officer [LBPD Retired Peace Officer CCW Application Writable Rev.2020] application.
- Contact the LBPD Range at (562) 570‐5974 to schedule an appointment and bring your holster to qualify.
- Contact the Live Scan office at (562) 570-5142 to schedule a new photo and/or Live Scan, if applicable.
- Submit the completed application to Live Scan staff and allow one month to process.
It is recommended that applicants begin the CCW renewal process two (2) months prior to the expiration date to avoid a lapse. For assistance with completing the application process from outside of California or for special accommodations, please contact (562) 570‐7301.