The Long Beach Police Department is asking for the public’s help in identifying a male suspect wanted in connection with several incidents of sexual battery to female victims that have occurred over the past week, and is reminding the community to be alert to their surroundings.
On Wednesday, May 27, 2015, between the hours of 8:00 and 11:00 p.m., four women in three separate incidents were groped on the buttocks while walking down the street, by a male subject on foot, in the general area of Redondo Avenue between Ocean Boulevard and 1st Street.
Below are personal safety tips we encourage residents to practice at all times:
• Keep your cell phone in an easily accessible location
• Always be alert to your surroundings and the people around you
• Report suspicious activity immediately by calling 9-1-1
• Be aware of locations and situations which could make you vulnerable, such as alleys, dark parking lots and dim walkways
• Paying too much attention to an electronic device (cell phone, i-Pod, etc.) can make you a target
• Wearing earbuds prevents you from hearing what is happening around you
• Whenever possible, travel with a friend
• Stay in well-lighted areas whenever possible
• Avoid doorways, bushes, and alleys where someone could hide
• Walk confidently and at a steady pace, and make eye contact with people
• Keep your keys in your hand when walking to your vehicle
• If you feel you are being followed, get to a public place as quickly as possible or get other people’s attention