PRESS RELEASE

City of Long Beach 
Public Information Office
411 W. Ocean Blvd, 
Long Beach, CA 90802

7/10/2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEPress Release # 071020
Subject:
Community Invited to Participate in City’s Budget Priority Survey
Contact:
Desiree Gutierrez
Communications Officer
Department of Financial Management
562.570.5686
Desiree.Gutierrez@longbeach.gov




Long Beach, CA - The City of Long Beach is encouraging residents to provide input on the City’s budget by participating in a Budget Priority Survey available now and continuing throughout the budget process.

Public input is an important and valued part of the City’s budget preparation process. The public survey has been developed to help the City determine General Fund priorities. The survey is available online in English, Spanish, Khmer and Tagalog. 

The City of Long Beach has an average annual budget of approximately $3 billion.  About 80% of the annual budget is tied to designated funds that limit how the funding can be used. The remaining 20% of the budget pays for most of the City’s public facing resources such as streets and sidewalks, police patrol, fire response, parks and recreation and library services.

The Proposed FY 21 Budget is expected to be made available at  longbeach.gov by early August and virtual town halls regarding the proposed budget will take place in August. Information on these virtual events will be forthcoming later this month.

The FY 21 budget development has had many constraints; like many local governments, Long Beach is expecting a large budget shortfall, further exacerbated by the impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic. In total, the FY 21 budget must solve for a $30 million deficit in the City’s General Fund.

The FY 21 budget also will be the City’s first budget since approving the Framework of Reconciliation. The City is currently engaged in public listening sessions to catalyze recommendations for the City Council to consider related to the existence and long-standing impacts of systemic racism in Long Beach. The Budget Prioritization Survey is another opportunity to share feedback with the City Council about what items should be prioritized.  

Learn more about the City’s adopted budget and view the 2020 budget document.

Media inquiries can be directed to Desiree Gutierrez, Communications Officer, Department of Financial Management 562.570.5686, Desiree.Gutierrez@longbeach.gov.

For the latest information on COVID-19, with details on all that the City of Long Beach is doing to keep its residents safe, visit: longbeach.gov/COVID19 and follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

###