Refuse Operator Hiring EventRelease Date: 2023-06-28
The City of Long Beach is hosting a one-day hiring event for Refuse Operator (RO) positions on July 22, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. – 3:00p.m. in the Main Health Facilities Building at 2525 Grand Avenue, Long Beach, 90815.
The City is seeking to immediately hire up to 30 full-time and part-time Refuse Operator positions with an hourly pay range of $19.734 – $29.028. This includes Refuse Operator non-career and classified positions. The pay range will be based on the candidate's level of experience, work history, and operational needs.
To make the recruitment process quicker and easier for new Refuse Operators, the City is embarking on a one-day hiring event to interview, make offers, and begin the onboarding process all on the same day. During the event, candidates can expect an initial work history screening, participation in an interview, and participate in onboarding activities including a background check and the completion of an on-site employment physical examination and drug screen.
UPDATE: Registration is now closed.
All new refuse operators, including non-career employees, will be eligible for a recruitment incentive of $6,000 total!
- 1st Payment: $1,000 upon starting and is included in the 2nd or 3rd paycheck
- 2nd Payment: $2,000 upon completion of 1,044 scheduled hours
- 3rd Payment: $3,000 upon completion of 3,132 scheduled hours
Prior to the hiring event, candidates are encouraged to complete an application online:
- Apply to the Refuse Operator I-III Position (requires Class A or B Driver's License):
- Apply to the Refuse Operator I Non-Career Position (requires Class A or B Permit): https://bit.ly/gjpwro1nc
- Copy of DMV K4 Driving Record
- Class A or Class B Driver's License or Permit
- Copy of Resume and Work History
A conditional job offer will be provided to successful candidates at the event contingent upon:
- Copy of valid California Class "A" or "B" driver's license
- Copy of DMV K4 Driving Record (if applicable)
- Placement on the Civil Service Eligibility List (applies to Refuse Operator I-II full-time positions)
- Passing a Live Scan Background Check
- Passing the Physical Exam and Drug Screen provided at the on-site event
- Completion of the Oath