Admiral Kidd Park Playground Project
Additional project updates and information will be published on an on-going basis.
Latest Updates – September 2023
On Saturday, August 19, 2023, the City of Long Beach hosted a grand opening ceremony for the Admiral Kidd Park Playground. Thank you to the community for your patience and cooperation throughout this project.
Please join the City of Long Beach for a grand opening ceremony of the Admiral Kidd Park Playground on Saturday, August 19, 2023 at 11:00 a.m.! Light refreshments will be provided.
- Thanks to the support of the Partners of Parks (POP), the City has received brand new playground equipment to help restore the children’s play area. The City is in process of onboarding a Contractor for the installation. Construction is anticipated to begin in the Spring.
The City’s Construction Contractor is scheduled to begin construction in the area in Spring 2023 with a scheduled completion, barring weather or other unforeseen delays, by Summer 2023.
The improvements will include:
- Install a new, expanded children's play area featuring shade structures
- Add a light pole and upgrade existing lighting to walking paths surround the park playground to improve safety
The contractor is scheduled to perform work Monday through Friday from 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM. Parking impacts for residents is not expected. Efforts will be made to minimize inconveniences and minimize construction activities during scheduled park sports activities.
The contractor encourages park patrons to keep children away from the construction areas and activities.
Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation throughout this project. If you have any questions or concerns, please call the Department of Public Works at (562) 570-6293 or e-mail at email@example.com.
The Admiral Kidd Park Playground project will install a new children’s play area, provide an accessible path to the playground and a donor recognition program.
- New children's play area
- Improve ADA accessibility
- Enhance outdoor recreational opportunities
On July 18, 2021, the Admiral Kidd Playground, located at 2125 Santa Fe Avenue, was destroyed by a fire. In September 2021, Partner of Parks Long Beach (POP) launched a campaign to raise funds to rebuild the nautical-themed playground structure. The funds raised, along with the City of Long Beach Measure A infrastructure dollars will support the rebuild and restore this important community amenity.
Estimated Project Timeline
- Design/Engineering: Fall 2022
- Bid and Award: Winter 2023
- Construction: Spring – Summer 2023