Home » Special Events & Filming » Occasional Event Permits (OEP)


What is an Occasional Event Permit?

An Occasional Event Permit or OEP, is a one (1) day permit that allows businesses to have entertainment on their premises without an existing entertainment license

Businesses MUST have an ACTIVE (not pending or expired) business license in good standing.

These applications must be submitted no less than TEN (10) BUSINESS DAYS prior your event to allow time to process your application.

An occasional event permit shall not be issued for any premises or location more than twenty-four (24) times within any twelve (12) month period, and events for which occasional event permits are issued must be at least ten (10) days apart. (See Muni Code 5.72.130)

Due to certain specific circumstances, usually related to alcohol requirements and/or fire codes, the city Fire Marshall may conduct a Safety Spot Check or city staff may be required to staff your event.

What is NOT an Occasional Event?

An Occasional Event Permit cannot be issued under the following conditions:

    1. A business that doesn’t have a valid and current business license.
    2. Private residents (includes apartments, townhomes, etc.)
    3. Event is held on city property. These require a Special Event Permit.
      City property includes parks, sidewalks, streets, and all public buildings. 
    4. Certain specific and unique situations may prohibit the issuance of a permit.

An Occasional Event Permit IS required under the following:

    1. Amplified or electronically enhanced entertainment.
    2. Disc Jockeys are considered amplified entertainment.
    3. The presence of three (3) or more entertainers.
    4. Business does not have an entertainment license.

An Occasional Event Permit may not be required under the following:

    1. Ambient Music is any amplified or acoustic low level background music.
    2. Ambient Music is intended to create an atmosphere and not to entertain.
    3. Disc Jockeys are NOT considered ambient music.
    4. Acoustic Music shall not be amplified or electronically enhanced.
    5. One (1) to two (2) Entertainers only.
    6. Ambient and acoustic music shall not be audible more than ten (10) feet from any portion of the exterior of the premises.



  • $102 | Occasional Event Permit Fee
  • $130 | Fire Safety Officer Spot Check Fee (if deemed necessary)


ACTIVE Business License Number
All applicants must provide an ACTIVE (NOT Pending) business license in good standing with the City of Long Beach. Verify your status by looking up your business license on BizMapsFor questions, call Business Licensing at (562) 570-6211. 

Site MapSite Plan Layout

Everyone must submit a detailed diagram of your proposed set up with dimensions indicating location of entertainment, emergency exit doors, location of alcohol, location of security, etc. Please submit this to SEF-Permits@longbeach.gov with the name of your event in the Subject Line.

Copy of Property/Venue's Current Fire Permit & Occupancy Rating & Lease/Rental Agreement
If event is being held on property other than your own, we will need proof of permission from property owner.

Alcohol & Beverage Control (ABC) License
If you will be serving alcohol, please call ABC Licensing (562) 982-1337.
*Please make sure the name of your Event is on your ABC application and matches your Event application.

PPO Badge

Security/PPO Information
Security is needed if you are serving alcohol. Please indicate security company,  PPO#, contact information, and where they will be stationed on site map.


charitable soliciation

Charitable Solicitation Permit 
If you are raising money, please call (562) 570-7219. 
Does not apply to churches.

Serving/Selling Food
If your venue is not licensed to serve/sell food, please fill out this Health Department Organizer Permit Application  & TFF Food Permit Application and email to EnvironmentalHealth@longbeach.gov or go to their Temporary Food Facilities page for more info.

As of December 2021, all retail vendors (including Food Trucks) must have a business license in the City of Long Beach. For more info, please contact Lori Voss in Business Licensing at (562) 570-6222.


 Application and Forms

+Occasional Event Permit Application (PDF)
+Occasional Event Permit Application (Online)

+Occasional Event Permit Checklist