Information for Vacant Lot Owners
Thank you for your interest in the UAIZ program! Below you will find information about eligibility, zoning, and the application process. If you would like assistance finding a local farmer or gardener to run agricultural programs on your property, please fill out the form at the bottom of this page. Don't hesitate to contact our staff with any questions or concerns thorughout the process: email us at Sustainability@longbeach.gov or call 562-570-6396.
- Between 0.10 to 3 acres in size
- No habitable structures, all on-site structures must be accessory to agricultural use
- No part of the lot may be listed on the Department of Toxic Substance Control’s EnviroStor Database
- Must be within Long Beach City limits and comply with City zoning codes
Along with creating the UAIZ Program, the UAIZ Ordinance also updated Long Beach's zoning code, expanding the number of vacant lots eligible for this program. These updates ammended the code to:
- Adopt the state definition of urban agriculture, with additional language clarifying that this does not include cultivation of marijuana,
- Allow urban agriculture as a matter of right within multi-family, commercial, and light industrial zones, and
- Require an Administrative Use Permit within single-family, two-family and heavy industrial zones
Contact us for more information about zoning in your area.
How to Apply
Submit the Application Form with supporting documents in person to:
City of Long Beach, Office of Sustainability
411 W Ocean Blvd, 3rd Floor
Long Beach CA, 90802
Please call ahead for an appointment: 562-570-6396
- 100% of the property must be devoted to agricultural purposes
- Agricultural programs must use all organic methods
- Contract term must be a minimum of 5 years
The Application Process:
- City staff verifies application meets eligibility criteria.
- Qualifying applications are forwarded to the LA County Assessor’s Office and Treasurer Tax Collector for verification that funds are available and that the property is current on all tax assessments.
- Provided all eligibility criteria are met and funds are available, the application is approved.
- Development Services and Property Owner sign UAIZ contract.
- Property Owner records signed UAIZ contract at the LA County Registrar-Recorder’s Office.
- Property Owner submits a copy of the recorded contract to the Office of Sustainability and LA County Assessor’s Office
- LA County Assessor’s Office grants tax reduction to property
- Agricultural Commissioner will conduct site inspection after recordation, and annually thereafter.
Find a Farmer
For assistance matching with a local farmer or gardener, fill out the form below. This program will promote the opportunity to farm your lot so you can receive applications and choose the best fit for your property.