PRESS RELEASE

City of Long Beach 
Public Information Office
411 W. Ocean Blvd, 
Long Beach, CA 90802

6/11/2021
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASEPress Release # 061121-3
Subject:
City Extends Application Period for Emergency Rental Assistance Program for Another 30 Days
Program funding has increased to $51 million
Contact:
Richard De La Torre
562.570.7174
richard.delatorre@longbeach.gov
Community Information Officer
Development Services




Long Beach, CA - The City of Long Beach for the second time is extending by 30 days the deadline for residential landlords and tenants to apply for the Long Beach Emergency Rental Assistance Program (LB-ERAP). The new deadline for the multi-million-dollar program is now July 11, 2021. Previously, the deadline was extended to June 11, 2021.

“Many of our residents who have been financially impacted by COVID-19 still need help with rent,” said Mayor Robert Garcia. “We encourage those who may be eligible for assistance to apply to take advantage of this program before time runs out.”

All LB-ERAP applications can be submitted via the program’s online information and service portal at longbeach.gov/erap. People may call the program support line at 833.358.5372 for assistance Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

A second extension of the LB-ERAP application deadline is being provided as additional federal funding, which the City was expecting through the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, recently became available. Additional funding of $21.4 million has increased the total program budget to $51.4 million, allowing the City to extend the application period to assist additional applicants. As the State’s eviction moratorium is scheduled to expire on June 30, 2021, these additional funds will help bring tenants current on past due rent to avoid unnecessary evictions.

The program provides rental assistance to residential landlords and income-eligible tenants in Long Beach who have experienced financial loss or economic hardship due to COVID-19. In addition, applicants who only need assistance with utility payments may also apply for the LB-ERAP funding.

LB-ERAP implements the tenant protection laws enacted by the State of California. However, LB-ERAP is separate from the State’s rental assistance program, and applicants should not apply to the State program if the unit for which they are seeking assistance is located in Long Beach.

To be eligible, residential tenants must currently be renting the same unit in Long Beach for which they are seeking assistance, and meet the following criteria:

  • The household has a household income at or below 80% of the area median income;
  • One or more individuals within the household has experienced a financial hardship due, directly or indirectly, to the COVID-19 pandemic; and,
  • One or more individuals within the household can demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability. 

Other program details are as follows:

  • The program will prioritize households at or below 50% of the area median income.
  • The program will prioritize assisting households with past due rents and lower-income tenants who have been unemployed for 90 days or more and who are at risk of housing instability.
  • The program will prioritize paying outstanding past due rent and utilities before addressing future rents and utility payments.
  • Landlords with one or more eligible tenants can apply to get reimbursed for 80% of each eligible tenant’s unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent for that specific time period.
  • If a landlord is applying on behalf of their tenant, the tenant must also complete the application and provide necessary documentation.
  • If a tenant is eligible but their landlord chooses not to participate in LB-ERAP, they may apply on their own for 25% of the unpaid rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021.
  • LB-ERAP will help income-eligible tenants pay utilities, both for past due bills and future payments. Tenants can also apply for up to 25% of their rent for up to three months of future rent. 

The City began accepting applications for the LB-ERAP on April 12, 2021, and is working to process fully completed applications. Payments to qualified applicants with complete applications have begun and will increase as additional applications are completed.

To learn more about the LB-ERAP’s various income and eligibility guidelines, visit longbeach.gov/erap.

For additional information about housing in Long Beach, visit longbeach.gov/lbds or view the City’s Resources for Homeowners, Renters and Landlords.

For the latest information on COVID-19, with details on all that the City of Long Beach is doing to keep our residents safe, visit longbeach.gov/COVID19 and follow @LongBeachCity on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.