Commercial Rental Assistance Grant
On January 12, 2021, the City Council approved the development of the Commercial Rental Assistance Grant (CRAG). CRAG is funded by the third round of emergency grant funds from the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Community Development Block Grant Coronavirus (CDBG CV-3) allocation. CRAG will provide financial relief to small businesses located in low-to-moderate income areas that have lost revenue as a result of COVID-19 and State and Local Health Orders that restricted business operations. Approximately $1.7 million is available for this program. Grants totaling $4,000 are available to help businesses pay commercial lease payments that are outstanding or will become due in the 2021 calendar year.
The deadline to submit a completed application is on Thursday, July 29, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
To qualify for this grant, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a for-profit business with Long Beach as its location of business
- Must have a Long Beach business license
- Must have 50 or fewer full-time employees
- Must have experienced financial hardship resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic and State and local Health Orders
- Must have a physical location in Long Beach with a current, active commercial lease
- Must be in a Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) area
- Must be in compliance with local Health Orders
- Must not be permanently closed; must be currently operating
Use of Funding
Up to $4,000 in grant funding may be available to cover commercial lease payments that have or will become due between April 1, 2020 December 31,2021.
Applicants are not required to be behind on rent. Eligible businesses that have prioritized paying rent over other expenses during the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to apply
The application intake and selection process will include the following steps:
- Applicant visits the City’s CRAG webpage.
- Applicant reviews CRAG program eligibility requirements.
- If eligible, applicant submits application and required documentation via DocuSign application portal for staff review.
- City Staff screens application for eligibility to receive CRAG Program funding.
- City Staff informs applicant of CRAG Program eligibility.
- City staff contacts approved applicant to review and sign grant agreement and other pertinent documents.
Businesses that require assistance completing the online Commercial Rental Assistance Grant application may call the City’s BizCare Hotline to receive assistance or visit one of the City’s BizCare Pop-Ups. More information on these services is provided below:
- Phone number: (562) 570-4249
- Hours of operation: Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
BizCare pop-ups are currently taking place through Dec. 30, 2021 as follows:
- Mondays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Admiral Kidd Park (2125 Santa Fe Ave.)
- Tuesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library (5870 Atlantic Ave.)
- Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library
- Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mark Twain Neighborhood Library (1401 E. Anaheim St.)
- Application submission does not guarantee a grant.
- Funds are subject to availability.
- The City reserves the right to grant less than the requested amount based on availability of funds and overall grant portfolio.
- Only businesses located in Long Beach, California are eligible to apply for grant funding.
- One grant award per business owner
For more information about business assistance and resources, people can go to the Business Support webpage or contact the City’s BizCare Hotline at 562.570.4BIZ.