The City of Long Beach Department of Health and Human Services maintains death records for residents who died in Long Beach within one year of death ONLY.
All death record requests after one year must be obtained through the Los Angeles County Recorder’s Office at 800-201-8999.
For deaths occurring outside of Los Angeles County, please contact the county of death, as each jurisdiction has its own procedures for obtaining death certificates.
If eligible to obtain records, there are two types of certified copies available upon request:
CERTIFIED INFORMATION COPY
|City of Long Beach Department Of
Health and Human Services
2525 Grand Ave.
Long Beach, Ca. 90815
|Monday - Thursday
8 am - 12 pm
Please arrive at your appointment the following items/information:
- Death Certificate Application Form
- A valid form of identification with a picture, such as a driver's license or passport
- Full name of the person as it appears on the death certificate
- Date of Death
- Place of Death
- Form of payment
|DEATH CERTIFICATE||$24.00 (per copy)|
REQUESTING BY MAIL
|STEPS FOR MAIL-IN REQUEST||
1. Download and complete the Death Certificate Application Form
NOTE: The application must be signed in the presence of a notary republic
2. Mail in the application, sworn statement, and fee in the amount of $24.00 per copy to:
If you request that the certificate be mailed to you, we will process the application and mail it within 7-10 business days from the date that we receive the completed application in our office.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Can Get an Authorized Certified Copy of Death Certificate?
- A parent or legal guardian of the registrant (legal guardian must provide documentation).
- A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order (a court order copy is required).
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business (companies representing a government agency must provide authorization from the government agency).
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, brother or sister, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant. An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate (if you are requesting a Certified Copy under a power of attorney, please include a copy of the power of attorney with the application form).
- Any agent or employee of a funeral establishment who acts within the course and scope of his or her employment who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 7100 of the Health and Safety Code.
- Appointed rights in a power of attorney, or an executor of the registrant’s estate. (Please include a copy of the power of attorney, or supporting documentation identifying you as executor with the application.)